Grassland Pesticide Training
This course provides participants with the skills and knowledge required to develop grassland weed control strategies.
Who is it for?
It is a legal requirement under the Sustainable Use Directive (SUD) that only trained professionals are permitted to provide pesticide advice to farmers. This course has been designed for anyone providing advice to grassland farmers and ensures compliance with the SUD Directive. e.g. Company representatives, farm advisers, agricultural merchants etc.
Specific educational objectives
- Appraise the biology and control of weeds, pests and disease of grassland
- Appraise integrated pest management, pesticide use and efficiency
- Support farmers preparing for the sprayer test
- Devise integrated pest management practices for grassland
- Advise on best practice for integrated pest management in grassland
- Appraise legislation relating to pesticide use
The course comprises of 2 days lectures/practical sessions (face to face meetings), supported by online content and mentoring by a senior advisor. Each participant must be mentored by a senior advisor through the course (Grassland Pesticide Mentor). The course requires participant study in the lead up to each practical day. Continuous assessment on-line will feature each week with exams on both workshop days.
- Level 5 in an agricultural course or handling and distribution of pesticides course; or
- Level 6 (appropriate qualification) and suitable level of experience (preferably 5 years or more in the industry)
Supporting documentation will be required
- Teagasc ConnectEd Members €250
- Non-members €300
Course participants will receive membership of Teagasc ConnectEd Pro up to the end of December.
Cancellations up to three weeks prior to the course commencing will be given a full refund. Thereafter, no refunds will be made.
|Course location||Online Commencement*||Day 1 Practical||Day 2 Practical|
|Mountbellew Agricultural College||9th April||20th May||2nd September|
|Pallaskenry Agricultural College||16th April||28th May||24th September|
*IMPORTANT: This is the start date for the online component of this course only.
Please note that if sufficient numbers are not registered for course 1 only course 2 in Pallaskenry will proceed.