Dr Tom Walsh, 1914-1988
Dr Tom Walsh, a native of Piercetown, Co. Wexford, graduated from University College Dublin in 1937 with an honours BAgrSc degree. He received the MAgrSc the following year, his PhD in 1941 and was awarded the DSc in 1947 for his published work. The National University of Ireland (LLD) awarded him honorary doctorates in 1972 and by Trinity College Dublin (ScD) in 1980. He was elected a member of the Royal Irish Academy (MRIA) in 1955.
On graduation, Dr Walsh worked with the Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd, and later as an agricultural instructor in North Tipperary. Then he joined the staff of University College Dublin where he lectured in soil science from 1938 to 1945, and from 1945 to 1954 he worked as Soil Advisory Officer in the Department of Agriculture. In 1952 he was appointed Senior Inspector in that Department, with responsibility for soils and grassland research. When the Agricultural Institute was established in 1958, the government appointed him as its first director. He was appointed first director of ACOT in 1980. He retired from the public service in 1983.