Walsh Scholars of the Year Competition
Make an Application
Application to the competition is currently OPEN. Completed application forms should be sent to email@example.com before Friday 21st August.
Documents available for download
- Walsh Scholars of the Year Application Form
- Walsh Scholars of the Year Application Support Webinar Presentation
About the Competition
Teagasc, in partnership with national and international universities, have a long and prestigious history of successful doctoral and master's training and an ever-expanding network of Walsh Scholar alumni.
Since the early days of the Walsh Scholarships Programme (formally Fellowships), there has been an annual seminar where final year PhD students present their project and a chosen Scholar is awarded a gold medal. Past gold medal winners have gone on to hold leading positions in research, academia and industry, nationally and internationally, and for which they credit the Programme as the launching pad for their careers.
From 2020 onward, there is an exciting sea-change to how the Walsh Scholarships Programme will recognise high performing Scholars in their final year (or nearing final year). The competition will evaluate Scholars on five key competencies, in a three step process, ending with a public showcase.
1. Discipline-specific scientific and technical expertise
2. Industry-relevant transferable skills
3. Behavioural competencies
4. Interdisciplinary and intersectoral knowledge
5. Career development planning
1. Written Application - Final year, or Scholars nearing final year, invited to submit a written application.
2. Review of applications - Applications reviewed by Research Programme. Review panels, formed and chaired by Heads of Programmes, select a shortlist of finalists.
3. Finalists interviewed - Shortlisted applicants interviewed by external figures from academia and industry. Winners of the various awards, including the PhD Gold Medal, selected by the interview panel.
High performing Scholars will be invited to present their project as part of the inaugural ‘Walsh Scholars: The Next Generation’ ...a public showcase of Teagasc's leading postgraduate agri-food research.
The PhD Gold Medal winner, Knowledge Transfer Scholar of the Year, and Alum Award winner, along with other award winners, will be announced at the event, hosted by Sharon Ní Bheoláin. Find out more, and register for the event, which, in 2020, will take place online on Thursday 5th November.