Walsh Scholars of the Year Competition
Make an Application
The competition is open for applications.
To apply, eligible Walsh Scholars must:
- Complete a written application form (Walsh Scholars of the Year Application Form)
- Prepare a 3-minute video on their research
- Register and attend one of the training sessions provided (details sent by email)
The closing date for submitting your written application form is 5.00pm on Wednesday, 5th May, 2021
The closing date for submitting your video is 5.00pm on Wednesday, 12th May, 2021
Documents available for download
About the Competition
Teagasc, in partnership with national and international universities, have a long and prestigious history of successful doctoral and master's training and an ever-expanding network of Walsh Scholar alumni.
Since the early days of the Walsh Scholarships Programme (formally Fellowships), there has been an annual seminar where final year PhD students present their project and a chosen Scholar is awarded a gold medal. Past gold medal winners have gone on to hold leading positions in research, academia and industry, nationally and internationally, and for which they credit the Programme as the launching pad for their careers.
In 2020 the Walsh Scholarships Programme changed how it recognises high performing Scholars in their final year (or nearing final year). The competition evaluates Scholars on five key competencies, in a three step process, ending with a public showcase.
1. Discipline-specific scientific and technical expertise
2. Industry-relevant transferable skills
3. Behavioural competencies
4. Interdisciplinary and intersectoral knowledge
5. Career development planning
1. Written and video applications - Final year, or Scholars nearing final year, invited to submit a written application as well as a 3 minute video.
2. Review of applications - Applications reviewed by Research Programme. Review panels, formed and chaired by Heads of Programmes, select a shortlist of finalists.
3. Finalists interviewed - Shortlisted applicants interviewed by external figures from academia and industry. Winners of the various awards, including the PhD Gold Medal, selected by the interview panel.
High performing Scholars will be invited to present their project as part of the annual ‘Walsh Scholars: The Next Generation’ ...a public showcase of Teagasc's leading postgraduate agri-food research.
The overall winner of the Walsh Scholars of the Year competition will receive the Walsh Scholarships Gold medal and €1,000 (including the €500 programme prize).
The Scholars placed first in each of the programmes (AGRIP, CELUP, Food, REDP and KT) will receive a commemorative plaque and €500.
The Scholars placed second in each of the programmes (AGRIP, CELUP, Food, REDP and KT) will receive €300.
The Scholars placed third in each of the programmes (AGRIP, CELUP, Food, REDP and KT) will receive €100.
For more information, email email@example.com