Sustainable Dairy Beef Production Programme
Teagasc is running a 5 year campaign focused on maximising the potential of beef production from the dairy herd. It will run from 2022 to 2026
The aim of DairyBeef 500 is to promote and demonstrate DairyBeef systems, which are socially, environmentally and financially sustainable.
DairyBeef 500 objectives include:
- Targeting a net margin* of €500 per hectare;
- Creating greater integration between Beef and Dairy industries;
- Improving the beef merit of calves coming from the dairy herd;
- Increasing the adoption of best practices, especially in relation to grassland management and calf rearing;
- Reducing the environmental footprint of DairyBeef production;
- Establishing a cohort of profitable DairyBeef producers.
*Net Margin of €500/ha does not include farm family labour or land costs.
Key Pillars of the Programme
There are six key pillars of the programme which will be underpinned by a coordinated campaign of events and activities activities these pillars are:
- Ballyvadin Demonstration Farm;
- DairyBeef 500 Demonstration Farms
- A strong Knowledge Transfer supporting programme;
- Upskilling farmers, advisors, lecturers/teachers and students;
- A supporting Research and Education Programme;
- Weekly Communication
More information on the DairyBeef 500 Programme is available in the programme booklet here DairyBeef 500 Programme Booklet (pdf)