Location: Ballacolla, Co.Laois
Farm Size: 86.7 ha-mostly free draining
System: Suckler to finish
Harry is currently farming in conjunction with his father Joe in Ballacolla, Co. Laois. The land type is mainly free draining but parts are variable with some heavy, peaty gleys. Currently, 110 spring calving cows are on the farm alongside a large flock of over 200 mid-season lambing ewes.
Herd Health has been a serious issue on the farm in recent years and this needs to be addressed immediately. Given the size of the holding and the farmyard that exists, there is scope to push output hard. Beet and barley is grown on farm to increase the stocking rate on the farm and reduce the feed costs of the finishing animals. Calves from a nearby dairy farm have been purchased so there will be more of a demand on grass as the programme progresses.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Breeding challenge - Increase average replacement value of herd by €20 over course of programme and meet all herd fertility targets
- Herd health challenge - Aim to reduce antibiotic input by 20% and develop herd health plan
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured. All stock to meet processor specifications.
- Mixed grazing challenge -Establish blueprint for successful mixed grazing on farms
- Labour/structures challenge - Labour use focus/ Drystock farm partnership focus
- IFJ - 12 August 17(PDF)