Henry and Richard Milligan
Location: Robertstown Co.Kildare
Farm size: 63ha
System: Suckler to steer beef/Calf to beef
Richard farms full time In Robertstown, Co. Kildare. Land is generally good quality and set out in two blocks. Some of the farm was previously in tillage so investment is required in replenishing P and K as well as reducing the size of the divisions.
Currently there is a 40 cow Spring Calving Suckler Herd, with a mixture of AI and Hereford Stock Bull being used. Alongside the suckler enterprise, a Calf to Beef System is being developed. Hereford cross calves are sourced from dairy herds in Feb to April and reared on farm. The plan is to increase the cow numbers to 45 and further expand the dairy calf the beef system from 30 to 70, and continue to finish all produce. Steers will be finished at 22 - 24months, and heifers at 20-22 months.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Herd health challenge - Aim to reduce antibiotic input by 20% and develop herd health plan
- Soil fertility challenge - Aim for 70% of farm at index 3 P&K. Ph - aim for 6.1 (5.7 on peat soils)
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured. All stock to meet processor specifications.
Open Day Booklets
- IFJ - 30 Sep 2017(PDF)