Location: Dundalk, Co. Louth
Farm Size: 60 Ha
System: Suckler to bull finish
Martin is farming full time running an intensive Suckler to beef operation in Knockbridge Co. Louth. There is currently a high stocking rate of 2.7Lu/Ha. Land type is good quality with free draining soil laid out in 3 separate blocks.
Land is well paddocked with excellent roadways and further paddocking haven taken place since the start of the programme. There is good soil fertility and grassland with a high proportion of the land recently reseeded.
The plan is to bring more tillage land into grass and increase cow numbers from 70 to 95 and to continue to slaughter bulls at u16 months and heifers at 22 months. Martin is also planning on purchasing bulls and taking them to slaughter to further increase output on the farm.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Breeding challenge - Increase average replacement value of herd by €20 over course of programme and meet all herd fertility targets
- Soil fertility challenge - Aim for 70% of farm at index 3 P&K. Ph - aim for 6.1 (5.7 on peat soils)
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured. All stock to meet processor specifications.