Peter and Cathal Breen
Location: Gorey, Co.Wexford
Farm size: 74 Ha
System: Suckler to steer beef
Peter and Cathal both farm part time in partnership near Gorey in Wexford. The land is set out in one large block. There was little or no grazing infrastructure but since the start of the programme a lot of work has been done and extra paddocks and water systems have been put in place. A lot of P and K and required to improve soil fertility.
Stocking rate is very low currently at 1.3Lu/Ha. The plan is to slightly increase cow numbers from 45 to 60 and tighten the calving spread, and further increase output by purchasing 80 dairy calves and taking them to slaughter.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Herd health challenge - Aim to reduce antibiotic input by 20% and develop herd health plan
- Soil fertility challenge -Aim for 70% of farm at index 3 P&K. Ph - aim for 6.1 (5.7 on peat soils)
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured. All stock to meet processor specifications.
- Labour/structures challenge - Labour use focus/ Drystock farm partnership focus
Read more on the challenges