Location: Dunraymond, Co.Monaghan
Farm Size: 58 Ha Heavy land
System: Suckler to bull finish
Wesley is farming full time in Dunraymond Co. Monaghan. The land is very fragmented and is situated in a number of different blocks. The farm has heavy drumlin type soil. Soil fertility is poor with a high requirement for lime.
Zero grazing takes place on farm to aid in getting grass into diet at shoulders of year. There is a lot of work to be done to improve grazing infrastructure, the plan is to use temporary fences and gradually install more permanent fences.
Currently Wesley is running a herd of 80 high replacement index Limousine and Simmental Suckler cows with the plan to increase that number to 100 and continue slaughtering bulls at U16-months and continues selling surplus high index heifers for breeding.
- Two tonne grass challenge - All farms to aim to increase by 2 Tonne/DM/ha
- Farm finance challenge - Gross margin target €1250/ha on average
- Farm safety challenge - Farms to introduce 2 positive changes annually
- Breeding challenge - Increase average replacement value of herd by €20 over course of programme and meet all herd fertility targets
- Soil fertility challenge -Aim for 70% of farm at index 3 P&K. Ph - aim for 6.1 (5.7 on peat soils)
- Meet the markets challenge - All farms quality assured. All stock to meet processor specifications.
Open Day Booklets
- IFJ - 2 September 17 (PDF)