Teagasc/NCC Joint Industry Programme
The Joint Dairy Programme between Teagasc, North Cork Creameries (NCC) and Milk Suppliers improving farm profitability through better grassland management, improved nutrient management planning, breeding and nutrition.
The target is to have 40 milk supplier participants in the Farm Profitability Programme from the North Cork Creamery catchment area in Counties Cork and Kerry. There will be 4 different farmer groups across; one each in the Kanturk area, Cullen area, Fealebridge area and Newtownsandes area. These will be used to transfer the information and learnings to all milk suppliers.
The joint programme will aim to have the NCC milk suppliers in the programme to increase milk solids by 10% during the 3 years duration of the programme.
The programme will aim to acheive it's objective through:
- Milk Recording
- AI & Bull Selection
- Grassland Management – Soil Fertility/Nutrient Management Plan
- Targeted Fertiliser Programmes
- Profit Monitors completed yearly
- Expert one to one advice and mentoring from Teagasc advisors & specialists as well as industry specialists throughout the programme
- Mixture of on farm events and workshops
Targeted benefits of the programme:
- A 10% increase in milk solids = big financial benefit to the milk supplier
- The participants technical skills and knowledge will be improved greatly
- The milk supplier will be more profitable & be running a more Efficient & Sustainable business
Participants in the programme will get: € Profit Monitor / Soil Samples / Nutrient management plan & expert advice while in the programme