Location: Latitude 54°051’N, Longitude 07°031’W
Area: 47 ha (effective)
Milking Cows: 120 cow (subject to scientific requirements) spring calving herd with moderate feed inputs of 550kg of meal per cow. The Ballyhaise herd is made up of 60 pure Friesian cows and 60 Jersey Friesian crossbred.
System: Spring calving dairy herd. Calving commences in early February with 85% of the herd calved by the third week of March and all cows calved by the end of April. Typically cows are turned out to grass as they calves and are fed a grass based diet.
Soil Type: A mixture of acid brown earths, gleys and alluvial soils.
- 12 unit herringbone parlour with automatic cow ID, automatic cluster removers, daily electronic milk recording and sampling, in parlour feeding, milking behaviour recording, weighing and drafting facilities.
- 80 cow winter housing shed and 960,000 litre over ground slurry store.
- Heifer accommodation ( 35 cubicles) and calf sheds.
- One bridge crossing the Annalee river, providing access to part of the dairy block.
- Network of farm roadways.