Location: Latitude 50°07’N, Longitude 08°16’W
Area: 100 ha (effective) 5 ha is nder plots and used for grass variety research as well as other component plot studies
Milking Cows: 300 spring calving
Spring calving herd: Typically cows are turned out to pasture directly post-calving and annually achieve a 300-day grazing season. Ten week calving season.
All male calves are sold at 2 weeks old and heifer calves are reared on an outside block.
Soil Type: Free-draining acid brown earth of sandy loam to loam in texture
Aspect: South facing, 40m above sea level.
- 30 unit sequential bale parlour with automatic cow ID, automatic cluster removers, cluster cleanse, daily electronic milk weighting and sampling, in parlour feeding, milking behaviour recording, weighting and drafting facilities.
- Facility to feed multiple concentrate types in parlour
- 10 unit specialized milking unit and associated laboratories for component milking technology research
- 90 cow feed shed
- Individual cow feed access points for daily dry matter intake recording – Hokofarm Group RIC Feed System
- Metabolism house for 12 cows- facility to undertake detailed rumen nutrition studies
- Total winter cubicle housing facilities for 400 cows
- Underpass connects farm blocks
- Land area laid out to facilitate detailed grazing experimental work
- All experimental area reseeded in last 7 years