Frequently Asked Questions
50 Frequently Asked Questions for New Entrants to Dairying
- When are milk quotas being abolished?
- What Co-op can a farmer supply milk to?
- What are milk solids?
- What is the payment system for milk?
- Are there a charge / cost per litre for new entrants supplying milk to a Co-op?
- What is the average profitability of cattle, sheep and dairy per ha?
- What is the profitability of the top performing dairy herds?
- What is a cash flow plan?
- How many cows should I milk?
- What are the factors that make these dairy farms most profitable?
- What size milking parlour should I build?
- How much could a milking parlour cost?
- How much will bulk tanks cost?
- Where should the milking parlour be sited?
- What size bulk tank do I need?
- What are the basics and extras in a milking machine?
- What type of cow should I buy?
- What is EBI?
- Is EBI working on dairy farms?
- Should I buy calves, bulling heifers or calved cows?
- What are the pros and cons of crossbred cows?
- What size paddocks?
- What is an appropriate roadway for cows?
- What size water troughs are required?
- What size water pipes?
- How much slurry storage is needed for a cow?
- How much silage does a cow need over winter?
- What are dimensions of a cubicle?
- What are the main breeding targets?
- How many inseminations does it take to get a heifer milking in three year's time?
- What is the target breeding weight for heifers?
- What heat detection aids work with dairy cows?
- For 100 cows – how much land do I need?
- How much does a milking cow eat?
- How much meal does a cow need?
- What is the ideal grass for cows in summer?
- How many cows/replacements can one person manage?
- What is contract heifer rearing?
- Can dairy farmers have a “GOOD LIFESTYLE”?
- How can lifestyle be improved?
- What is once a day (OAD) milking?
- Who is the local dairy advisor?
- Where will I get an EBI report?
- Where will I get information on dairy herd diseases?
- What will it cost me to get up and running?
- How can I finance the start-up costs?
- What should I do first/prioritise?
- Who should I talk to?
- Dry stock farmer - has no experience of dairying!
- Where can a farmer get more information?