Carlos Álvarez GarcíaResearch Officer
My research interests are focused in recovering compounds of interest from food co-products (either from fish, meat, vegetables or seaweed sources), looking for innovative applications, in order to reduce the environmental impact of these industrial activities. The use of emerging technologies pursuing the optimization of extraction/purification processes is part of my field of research.
Developing new techniques to analyse and control the biochemical and molecular processes during the post-slaughter stage on the transformation form muscle to meat is my other field of interest. Main goal is to understand the source of variability in meat tenderness, and therefore design post-mortem interventions to minimise the current variability on meat quality.
- ReValue Protein Project
- MTI: RP2, Meat Tenderness Management
- BSc Biology (2004) University of Oviedo (Spain)
- MSc Food Biotechnology (2006) University of Oviedo (Spain)
- PhD Food Biotechnology (2012) University of Oviedo (Spain)
- Post-Doctoral Student (2014) Teagasc Ashtown
- Álvarez, C., Drummond, L., & Mullen, A. M. (2018). Expanding the industrial applications of a meat co-product: Generation of low-haemoglobin content plasma by means of red cells crenation. Journal of Cleaner Production, 185, 805-813.
- Lynch, S. A., Álvarez, C., O'Neill, E. E., Keenan, D. F., & Mullen, A. M. (2018). Optimization of protein recovery from bovine lung by pH shift process using response surface methodology. Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture, 98(5), 1951-1960.
- Álvarez, C., Lélu, P., Lynch, S. A., & Tiwari, B. K. (2018). Optimised protein recovery from mackerel whole fish by using sequential acid/alkaline isoelectric solubilization precipitation (ISP) extraction assisted by ultrasound. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 88, 210-216.
- Kulawik, P., Álvarez, C., Cullen, P. J., Aznar-Roca, R., Mullen, A. M., & Tiwari, B. (2017). The effect of non-thermal plasma on the lipid oxidation and microbiological quality of sushi. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies.
- Marcet, I., Álvarez, C., Paredes, B., Rendueles, M., & Díaz, M. (2018). Transparent and Edible Films from Ultrasound-Treated Egg Yolk Granules. Food and Bioprocess Technology, 11(4), 735-747.
- Albertos, I., Martin-Diana, A. B., Cullen, P. J., Tiwari, B. K., Ojha, S. K., Bourke, P., ... & Rico, D. (2017). Effects of dielectric barrier discharge (DBD) generated plasma on microbial reduction and quality parameters of fresh mackerel (Scomber scombrus) fillets. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 44, 117-122.
- Álvarez, C., Tiwari, B. K., Rendueles, M., & Díaz, M. (2016). Use of response surface methodology to describe the effect of time and temperature on the production of decoloured, antioxidant and functional peptides from porcine haemoglobin by sub-critical water hydrolysis. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 73, 280-289.
- Kadam, S. U., Tiwari, B. K., Álvarez, C., & O'Donnell, C. P. (2015). Ultrasound applications for the extraction, identification and delivery of food proteins and bioactive peptides. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 46(1), 60-67.