Farhana AfrozePostdoctoral Researcher - Horticulture
- Development of micropropagation techniques for Eucalyptus, Viburnum, Pittosporum and some minor species including Ozothamnus and Brachyglottis for commercial cut foliage production.
- Effect of cold, light and temperature on fifteen novel Eucalyptus spp. on their seed germination and viability.
- Propagation and mutagenesis of several cultivars of different cut foliage.
- Clonal propagation of Eucalyptus from cuttings of selected genotypes/plus trees.
- Collaborate in establishing field trial of target plants including biomass yield, shoot fresh weight, growth rates and coppicing.
- Difference between the seed origin plants and clonal plants of different genotypes of Eucalyptus in terms of their root architecture, height and above-ground biomass and morphological characteristics.
- New Leaves: Alternative crops for the cut foliage sector
- PhD in Agriculture and Food Science from University College Dublin, Ireland.
- MS in Genetics and Plant Breeding from Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman Agricultural University, Gazipur, Bangladesh.
- BSc (Hons.) in Agriculture from Sher-e-Bangla Agricultural University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Society of Irish Foresters
- Afroze, F. & O’Reilly, C. 2016. Effects of seed moisture content, warm, chilling, and exogenous hormone treatments and germination temperature on the germination of blackthorn seeds. Online published in Plant Biosystems Journal. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/11263504.2016.1179693
- Afroze, F. & O’Reilly, C. 2016. Effect of harvest date, drying, short-term storage and freezing after chilling on the germination of rowan seeds. Scandinavian Journal of Forest Research. 31(4): 339-346 http://www.tandfonline.com/eprint/4mCScsCnz7zwymQRA5NJ/full
- Afroze, F. & O’Reilly, C. 2013. Breaking seed dormancy in European rowan seeds and its implications for regeneration. New For. 44(4): 547-557. https://rd.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11056-013-9362-z
- A technical article on ‘Rowan (Sorbus aucuparia L.) seed germination and its implications for regeneration’. Afroze, F. & O’Reilly. 2012. Prize winning studies at ENVIRON 2012. Newsletter of the Environmental Sciences Association of Ireland (ESAI) - An association for people working in the environmental area. Environews Issue No 24. Summer 2012. ISSN 1393 2705.
- PhD Thesis presentation on - ‘Effect of pretreatment and storage on seed dormancy release in rowan (Sorbus aucuparia L.) and blackthorn (Prunus spinosa L.) seeds’.
- MS Thesis on Genetic Divergence in ash gourd (Benincasa hispida Thunb.)
- Climate change may adversely affect the natural regeneration potential of native broadleaf species in Ireland. Second International Conference on Biodiversity in Forest Ecosystems and Landscapes in Cork, Ireland, August 28th to 31st, 2012. Poster Presentation
- Impact of climate change on the regeneration potential of broadleaf species in Ireland. International Conference: Tackling climate change: the contribution of forest scientific knowledge; France, May 21st to 23rd, 2012. Poster Presentation.
- Seed dormancy in rowan and its implication for nursery operations and natural regenerations. The 22nd Irish Environmental Researchers’ Colloquium, Environ 2012 conference, Environews, Environmental Science Association in Ireland (ESAI), Issue No.24, Summer-2012, March 7th to 9th 2012. Poster Presentation.