Cathal's research interests include agricultural, environmental and natural resource economics. Since joining the ACP in December 2008 his research has focused on analysis of the socio-economic impact of the implementation of the measures contained in the National Action Programme under the Nitrates Directive (S.I. 378 of 2006) on farms in the catchments and nationally. This research focuses on nutrient management efficiency among farmers, adoption of nutrient management best practices and provision of environmental public goods related to agriculture.
Prior to joining the Agricultural Catchments Programme Cathal’s research was in the area of non-market valuation techniques to estimate recreational demand for walking in Ireland.
- Ph.D, National University of Ireland, Galway
- M.Econ.Sc, National University of Ireland, Galway
- M.Ag.Sc. from University College Dublin
- B.Ag.Sc. from University College Dublin
- European Association of Environmental and resource economists (EAERE)
- Irish Environmental Economist Network (IEEN).
- Agricultural Economics Society (AES).
- Agricultural Economics Society of Ireland (AESI).
- International Water Association (IWA).
- Buckley, C., Wall, DP., Moran, B., Murphy, PNC., (2015). Developing the EU Farm Accountancy Data Network to derive indicators around the sustainable use of nitrogen and phosphorus at farm level. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems, Volume 102, Issue 3, pp 319-333. DOI: 10.1007/s10705-015-9702-9 TSTor Article
- Buckley, C., Carney, P., (2013). The potential to reduce the risk of diffuse pollution from agriculture while improving economic performance at farm level. Environmental Science and Policy, 25, 118-126. TSTor Article
- Buckley, C., Hynes, S. & Mechan, S., (2012) Supply of an ecosystem service - Farmers’ willingness to adopt riparian buffer zones in agricultural catchments, Environmental Science and Policy, 24,101-109. TStor Article
- Buckley, C., (2012) Implementation of the EU Nitrates Directive in the Republic of Ireland - A view from the farm, Ecological Economics, 78, 29-36.
- Buckley, C., Fealy, R.M., (2012). Intra-national importation of pig and poultry manure: acceptability under EU Nitrates Directive constraints. International Journal of Agricultural Management, 1, 41-47.
- Wall, D.P., Murphy, P.N.C., Melland, A.R., Mechan, S., Shine, O., Buckley, C., Mellander, P-E., Shortle, G. & Jordan, P., (2012). Evaluating agricultural nutrient source regulations at different scales in five Irish catchments. Environmental Science and Policy, 24, 34-43.
- Howley, P., Doherty, E., Buckley, C., Hynes, S., van Rensburg, T.M., Green, S., 2012. Exploring preferences towards the provision of farmland walking trails: A supply and demand perspective. Land Use Policy, 29, 111-118.
- Wall, D.P., Jordan, P., Melland, A.R., Mellander, P-E., Buckley, C. Reaney, S.M., Shortle, G. (2011) Using the nutrient transfer continuum concept to evaluate the European Union Nitrates Directive National Action Programme. Environmental Science and Policy 14, 664-674 JIF 2.322
- Hennessy, T., Buckley, C., Cushion, M., Kinsella, A & Moran, B., 2011. National Farm Survey of Manure Application and Storage Practices on Irish Farms. Teagasc, Athenry, Ireland.
- Fealy, R.M., Buckley, C., Mechan, S., Melland, A., Mellander, P-E., Shortle, G., Wall. D. and Jordan, P. (2010).The Irish Agricultural Catchments Programme: catchment selection using spatial multi-criteria decision analysis. Soil Use and Management, 26, 225-236.
- Buckley, C., Hynes, S., van Rensburg, T.M., Doherty, E., 2009. Walking in the Irish countryside: landowner preferences and attitudes to improved public access provision. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, 52, 1053-1070.
- Buckley, C., van Rensburg, T.M., Hynes, S., 2009. Recreational demand for farm commonage in Ireland: A contingent valuation assessment. Land Use Policy, 26, 846–854.
- Buckley, C., van Rensburg, T.M., Hynes, S., 2008. What are the financial returns to agriculture from a common property resource? A case study of Irish commonage. Journal of Farm Management, 13, 311-324.
- Buckley, C., Hynes, S., van Rensburg, T.M., 2008. Public access for walking in the Irish countryside – Can supply be improved? Tearmann - The Irish Journal of Agri-Environmental Research, 6, 1-13.
- Hynes, S.P., Buckley, C. and van Rensburg, T., 2007. Recreational pursuits on marginal farm land: A discrete-choice model of Irish farm commonage recreation. Economic and Social Review, 38, 63-84.