Cathal BuckleyResearch Officer
Cathal research interests focus on issues around the interface between agricultural production and the environment. This includes modelling the economic and environmental impact of mitigation measures across gaseous emissions, water quality and biodiversity dimensions. His research also examined farmer behaviour and the factors that affect adoption of best management practices at farm scale. He is also responsible for the publication of the Teagasc National Farm Survey Sustainability Report.
- Dairy4Future (INTERREG) – Dairy for the future.
- Terrain AI (SFI) - Terrain Artificial Intelligence
- Triple-A (RSF) - Abating Ammonia in Agriculture.
- FLEET (SEAI) - Farm Level Economic, Environmental and Transport modelling of alternative feedstock solutions for regional anaerobic digestion plants in Ireland
- METH-ABATE (RSF) - Development and validation of novel technologies to reduce methane emissions from pasture based Irish agricultural systems
- MILKEY (ERA-NET) - Sustainability tool for region specific milk production concepts across Europe.
- U-PROTEIN (RSF) - Impact of Alternative Protein Resources on Land Use and Sustainability Indicators
- CARBOSEQ (EJP) - Soil organic carbon sequestration potential of agricultural soils in Europe
- Farm level MACC modelling - Farm level marginal abatement cost curve modelling across different environmental dimensions
- Integrated Farm level Marginal Abatement Cost Curve modelling
- Optimisation of upland/lowland resources within farming systems to deliver a range of ecosystem services across multifunctional agricultural landscapes
- Adaptive management of grassland to improve farm level sustainability
- Modelling farm level gaseous emissions at higher resolution
- Sustainability in the farm to fork supply chain – An evaluation of novel protein crops
- Ph.D, National University of Ireland, Galway
- M.Econ.Sc, National University of Ireland, Galway
- M.Ag.Sc. from University College Dublin
- B.Ag.Sc. from University College Dublin
- European Association of Environmental and resource economists (EAERE)
- Irish Environmental Economist Network (IEEN).
- Agricultural Economics Society (AES).
- Agricultural Economics Society of Ireland (AESI).
- International Water Association (IWA).
- Donoghue, C., Buckley, C., Chyzheuskaya, A., Green, S., Howley, P., Hynes, S., Upton, V., Ryan, M., (2021)The spatial impact of rural economic change on river water quality,Land Use Policy, Volume 103,ISSN 0264-8377. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.landusepol.2021.105322.
- Thomas, I.A., Buckley, C., Kelly, E., Dillon, E., Lynch, J., Moran, B., Hennessy, T., Murphy, P.N.C., (2020). Establishing nationally representative benchmarks of farm-gate nitrogen and phosphorus balances and use efficiencies on Irish farms to encourage improvements. Science of the Total Environment, 720, 1-22.
- Quemada, M., Lassaletta, L., Jensen, L.S., Godinot, O., Brentrup, F., Buckley, C., Foray, S., Hvid, S.K., Oenema, J., Richards, K.G, Oenema, O., (2020). Exploring nitrogen indicators of farm performance among farm types Across several European case studies. Agriculture Systems, 177, 1-14.
- Norton D, Hynes S, Buckley C, Ryan M, Doherty E (2020). An initial catchment level assessment of the value of Ireland's agroecosystem services. Biology and Environment: Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy 2020;120B(2):123-151; doi http://dx.doi.org/10.3318/bioe.2020.14.
- Kaiser A, Schaffer A, McCormack M, Buckley C, (2020). Accounting for Undesirable Outputs in Irish Agricultural Productivity: A Non-Parametric Index Approach. Journal of Applied Business & Economics 2020;22(6).
- Daxini, A. O’Donoghue, C., Ryan, M., Buckley, C., Barnes, A., (2019). Using a typology to understand farmers' intentions towards following a nutrient management plan. Resources, Conservation & Recycling, 146, 280-290.
- McDonald, N.T., Wall, D.P., Mellander, P.E., Buckley, C., Shore, M., Shortle, G., Leach, S., Burgess, E., O’Connell, T., Jordan, P. (2019). Field scale phosphorus balances and legacy soil pressures in mixed-land use catchments, Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 274, 14-23.
- Daxini, A. O’Donoghue, C., Ryan, M., Buckley, C., Barnes, A., Daly, K., (2018). Which factors influence farmers' intentions to adopt nutrient management planning? Journal of Environmental Management, 224, 350-360.
- Micha, E., Heanue, K., Hyland, J.J., Hennessy, T., Dillon, E.J., Buckley, C., (2017). Sustainability levels in Irish Dairy farming: a farm typology according to sustainable performance indicators. Studies in Agricultural Economics, 119, 62-69.
- Daly, K., Breuil, M., Buckley, C., O’ Donoghue, C., Ryan, M., Seale, C., (2017). A review of water quality policies in relation to public good benefits and community engagement in rural Ireland. European Countryside, 9:1, 99-115.
- Ryan, M., Hennessy, T., Buckley, C., Dillon, E.J., Donnellan, T., Hanrahan, K., Moran, B., (2016). Developing farm-level sustainability indicators for Ireland using the Teagasc National Farm Survey. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research, 55:2, 112-125.
- Kelly, E., Heanue, K., O’Gorman, C., Buckley, C., (2016). High rates of regular soil testing by Irish dairy farmers but nationally soil fertility is declining: Factors influencing national and voluntary adoption. International Journal of Agricultural Management, 5:4, 1-9.
- Buckley, C., Howley, P., O’Donoghue, C., Kilgarriff, P., (2016). Willingness to Pay For Achieving Good Status Across Rivers in the Republic of Ireland. Economic and Social Review, 47:3, 425-445.
- Buckley, C., Wall, D., Moran, B., O'Neill, S. and Murphy, P.N.C., (2016). Farm gate level nitrogen balance and use efficiency changes post implementation of the EU Nitrates Directive. Nutrient Cycling in Agroecosystems 104, 1-13.
- Buckley, C., Wall, D., Moran, B., O'Neill, S. and Murphy, Paul (2016). Phosphorus management on Irish dairy farms post controls introduced under the EU Nitrates Directive. Agricultural Systems, 142, 1-8.
- Buckley, C., and Donnellan, T., (2020). Teagasc National Farm Survey 2019 Sustainability Report. Available: https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2020/NFS-2019-Sustainability-Report.pdf
- Buckley, C., Donnellan, T. and Moran, B., (2020).Teagasc National Farm Survey. A Report on Bovine Manure Management, Application and Storage Practices in Ireland. Available: https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2020/Manure-Management-Practices-Report.pdf
- Buckley, C., and Donnellan, T., (2020). Teagasc National Farm Survey 2018 Sustainability Report. Available:https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2020/Teagasc-NFS-2018-Sustainability-Report.pdf
- Buckley, C., Krol, D., Lanigan, G.J., Donnellan, T., Spink, J., Hanrahan, K., Boland, A., Forrestal, P., Humphreys, J., Murphy, P., NiFhlatharta, N., O’Brien, D., O'Dwyer, T., O’Mara, F., Richards, K., Shalloo, L., Wall, D., Waters, S., (2020). An Analysis of the Cost of the Abatement of Ammonia Emissions in Irish Agriculture to 2030. Available: https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2020/NH3-Ammonia-MACC.pdf
- Buckley, C., Dillon, E., Donnellan, T., Hanrahan, K., Moran, B., and Ryan, M (2019). Teagasc National Farm Survey 2017 Sustainability Report. Available: Available: https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2019/2017-sustainability-report-250319.pdf
- Dillon, E., Buckley, C., Moran, B., Lennon, J., Wall, D., (2018). Teagasc National Farm Survey Fertiliser Use Survey 2005-2015. ISBN: 978-1-84170-645-0. Available: https://www.teagasc.ie/media/website/publications/2018/Fertiliser-Use-Survey---290518.pdf
- Lynch, J., Hennessy, T., Buckley, C., Dillon, E., Donnellan, T., Hanrahan, K., Moran, B. and Ryan, M (2016). Teagasc National Farm Survey 2015 Sustainability Report.
- Buckley, C., Howley, P., O'Donoghue, C., Kilgarriff, P., Lennon, J., McIntyre, B. and Campbell, D. (2014). Are we willing to pay for good river water quality? Willingness to pay for achieving good status across rivers in the Republic of Ireland. EPA Strive Report No. 129. Available: http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/research/water/EPA_Research_Report_%20129.pdf
- Murphy, G., Hynes, S., Doherty, E., Buckley, C. and Corless, R. (2014). What’s our water worth? Estimating the Value to Irish Society of Benefits. Derived from Water-Related Ecosystem Services: A Discrete Choice Approach. EPA Strive Report No. 127. Available: http://www.epa.ie/pubs/reports/research/water/EPA_%20Research_%20Report_127.pdf
- Hennessy, T., Buckley, C., Dillon, E., Donnellan, T., Hanrahan, K., Moran, B. and Ryan, M (2013). Assessing the sustainability of Irish farms. Teagasc. Available: http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2013/3042/SustainabilityReport.pdf
- Shortle et al., (2013). Agricultural Catchments Programme Phase 1 Report – 2008 to 2011. Available: http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2013/2000/ACP_Phase1_Report.pdf
- Hennessy, T., Buckley, C., Cushion, M., Kinsella, A. and Moran, B. (2011). National Farm Survey of Manure application and storage practices on Irish farms. Teagasc. Available: http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2011/1001/TeagascNationalFarmSurveyOfManureApplication.pdf