Edward BurgessSpecialist - Agricultural Catchments Programme
My current role is an Agricultural Catchment Specialist with Teagasc’s Agricultural Catchments Programme (ACP) where I have the following responsibilities:
• Lead, train and support the advisory staff in the ACP in the efficient transfer of technical and research information to Teagasc clients and the public through newsletters, technical leaflets/brochures, the internet, participation in discussion groups, conferences, seminars, farm walks and training courses;
• Work closely with research staff in the Environment Research Department and the ACP to ensure effective integration between research, advisory and training services to develop and communicate a range of technologies, with a particular focus on water quality;
• Act as the lead point of contact for farmers participating in the ACP in all catchments
I previously spent three years managing the ACP and ten years as an agricultural advisor in the programme, working with the farmers in two contrasting catchment areas in Co. Wexford. You can find out more about my work on my Linkedin account!
ACP Advisory Team
- Suzanne Neary, Dunleer and Corduff
- Kevin Madden, Ballinrobe
- Oiseen Coakley, Timoleague
- Mark Boland, Castledockrell and Ballycanew
- 2019 Managing People - Management Development Programme QQI 6
- 2013 IASIS Continuous Professional Education in Crop Protection
- 2010 Crop Nutrition Management FETAC level 6
- 2007 MAgrSc - Rural Environment Conservation and Management, University College Dublin
- 1989 BAgrSc - University College Dublin
Edward Burgess has published several peer reviewed scientific papers.
Campling, P., Joris, I., Calliera, M., Capri, E., Marchis, A., Kuczyńska, A., Vereijken, T., Majewska, Z., Belmans, E., Borremans, L., Dupon, E., Pauwelyn, E., Mellander, P-E., Fennell, C., Fenton, O., Burgess, E., Puscas, A., Gil, E.I., Lopez de Alda, M., Tudel, G.F., Andersen, E., Højber, A.L., Nowakowska, M., and Suciu, N. (2021). A multi-actor participatory approach to identify policy and technical barriers to better farming practices that protect our drinking water sources. Science of the Total Environment. STOTEN-14297.
Vero, E.V., Doody, D., Cassidy, R., Higgins, S., Nicholl, G., Campbell, J., Mellander, P-E., McDonald, N., Burgess, E., Daly, K. and Sherry, E. (2021). Comparison of soil phosphorus index systems for grassland in the cross-border region of Ireland. Journal of Plant Nutrition and Science.
McDonald, N.T., Wall, D.P., Mellander, P-E., Buckley, C., Shore, M., Shortle, G., Leach, S., Burgess, E., O’Connell, T. and Jordan, P. (2019). Field scale phosphorus balances and legacy soil pressures in mixed-land use catchments. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 274 14–23.