Bernadette EarleyResearch Officer
- Effect of housing characteristics (floor type, underfoot conditions, space allowance etc) on animal welfare and performance of finishing beef cattle
- Predisposing factors for disease and immune-competence in artificially-reared dairy and suckled beef calves from birth to weaning.
- Transcriptomic and immunological characterisation of colostrum from dairy and beef cows with implications for calf health and welfare
- Characterisation of the welfare and performance responses of calves to disbudding and castration procedures
- Bovine respiratory disease (BRD) pathogen diagnostics using next generation sequencing
- Identification of DNA based biomarkers for susceptibility to BRD
- Characterisation of contract rearing and associated biosecurity and disease risks, and outcomes
- Calf disbudding and castration – animal welfare implications - (PI – Dr. Bernadette Earley
- Application of next generation sequencing for the identification of DNA based biomarkers in regulatory regions of the genome for susceptibility to bovine respiratory disease complex (US – Ireland Tri-partite funded project) Co-PI with Dr. Sinead Waters
- Beef cattle housing - (PI – Dr. Bernadette Earley)
- Bovine respiratory disease (BRD) - pen-side diagnostics - (PI – Dr. Bernadette Earley)
- Behaviours for Safer Farming – BeSafe - DAFM Funded project – (Co-PI with Dr. David Meredith)
- Surveillance Welfare and Biosecurity of Farmed Animals (SWAB) DAFM funded project (Co-PI with Dr. Aine Macken-Walsh)
- Recent advances in sequencing technologies to characterize the respiratory microbiome and virome associated with Bovine Respiratory Disease (US – Ireland Tri-partite funded project) (PI – Dr. Bernadette Earley)
B.Sc. (Biochemistry), H.Dip. in Ed., Ph.D. (Pharmacology)
Dr.Earley is a member of the:
- Farm Animal Welfare Advisory Council (FAWAC – DAFM);
- British Association for Psychopharmacology;
- European Society for Neurochemistry;
- Society for Neuroscience (U.S.A.);
- International Society for Behavioural Neuroscience (U.S.A.);
- American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) USA;.
- British Society of Animal Science (BSAS);
- American Association of Veterinary Immunologists (USA);
- Conference of Research workers in Animal disease (CRWAD, USA).
Most recent - selected publications (2019 - 2017)
Earley, B., Arguello, A., O’Riordan, E, Crosson, P., McGee, M. Quantifying antimicrobial drug usage from birth to 6 months of age in artificially reared dairy calves and in suckler beef calves Journal of Applied Animal Research, 47: 474-485.
Lynch, E, McGee, M, Earley, B. Review: weaning management of beef calves with implications for animal health and welfare. Journal of Applied Animal Research 2019, 47: (1); 167–175.
McDonnell, R., O'Doherty, J., Earley, B., Clarke, AM., Kenny, D.A.
2019. Effect of supplementation with n-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and/or β-glucans on performance, feeding behaviour and immune status of Holstein Friesian bull calves during the pre- and post-weaning periods. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology 2019. JASB-D-18-00390R1 J Anim Sci Biotechnol. 2019; 10: 7.
McGee, M., Earley, B. 2019. Review: Passive immunity in beef suckler calves. Animal. 2019 Apr;13(4):810-825.
Castro, N., Gómez-González, L., Earley, B., Argüello, A. 2018. "Use of clinic refractometer at farm, as a tool to estimate the IgG content in goat colostrum". Journal of Applied Animal Research 2018;46(1):1505-1508; doi http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/09712119.2018.1546585.
Surlis, C., Earley, B., McGee, M., Keogh, K., Cormican, P., Blackshields, G., Tiernan, K., Dunn, A., Morrison, A. Arguello, A., Waters, S.M. 2018. Blood immune transcriptome analysis of artificially fed dairy calves and naturally suckled beef calves from birth to 7 days of age. Scientific reports 8:15461 | DOI:10.1038/s41598-018-33627-0.
Todd, C.G., McGee, M., Tiernan, K., Crosson, P., O’Riordan, E., McClure, J., Lorenz, I., Earley, B. 2018. An observational study on passive immunity in Irish suckler beef and dairy calves: Tests for failure of passive transfer of immunity and associations with health and performance. Preventive Veterinary Medicine. 2018 Nov 1;159:182-195.
Keane, M.P., McGee, M., O’Riordan, E.G., Kelly, A.P. and Earley, B. Effect of floor type and space allowance on performance and welfare of finishing beef cattle: A meta-analysis. Livestock Science 212 (2018) 57–60.
Murray, G.M., More, SJ, Clegg, TA, Earley, B., O'Neill, R.G., Johnston, D., Gilmore, J., Nosov, M., McElroy, M.C., Inzana, T.J., Cassidy, J.P. Risk factors associated with exposure to bovine respiratory disease pathogens during the peri-weaning period in dairy bull calves BMC Veterinary Research 2018 14:53.
Dunn, A., Duffy, C., Gordon, A., Morrison, S.J., Argűello, A., Welsh, M., Earley, B. 2018. Comparison of single radial immunodiffusion and ELISA for the quantification of immunoglobulin G in bovine colostrum, milk and calf sera. Journal of Applied Animal Research, Journal of Applied Animal Research, 46:1, 758-765, DOI: 10.1080/09712119.2017.1394860
Earley, B., Tiernan, K., Duffy, C., Dunn, A., Waters, S.M., Morrison, S., McGee, M. 2018. Effect of suckler cow vaccination against glycoprotein E (gE)-negative bovine herpesvirus type 1 (BoHV-1) on passive immunity and physiological response to subsequent bovine respiratory disease vaccination of their progeny. Research in Veterinary Science, 118, 43-51.
Dunn, A., Duffy, C., Gordon, A., Morrison, S.J., Argűello, A., Welsh, M., Earley, B. 2018. Effect of passive transfer status on response to a glycoprotein E (gE)-negative bovine herpesvirus type 1 (BHV-1) and bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV) vaccine and weaning stress in pre-weaned dairy calves (JAAR). Journal of Applied Animal Research, 46 (1) 907-914
Keane, M.P., McGee, M., O’Riordan, E.G., Kelly, A.P. and Earley, B. 2018. Performance and welfare of steers housed on concrete slatted floors at fixed and dynamic (allometric based) space allowances. Journal of Animal Science, Issue 3, 3 April 2018, Pages 880–889.
O’Driscoll, K., McCabe, M., Earley, B. 2017. Leukocyte profile, gene expression, acute phase response and metabolite status of cows with sole haemorrhages. Journal of Dairy Science, 100:1–10.
Kelly, A.K, Lawrence, P., Earley, B., Kenny, D.A., McGee, M. 2017. Stress and immunological response of heifers divergently ranked for residual feed intake following a adrenocorticotropic hormone challenge. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology, 8:65.
Earley, B., Mc Namara, J.D., Jerrams, S.J., O’Riordan, E.G. 2017. Effect of concrete slats, three mat types and out-wintering pads (OWP’s) on performance, physiological, immunological and behavioural responses of finishing beef steers. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 59:34.
Keane, M.P., McGee, M., O’Riordan, E.G., Kelly, A.P. and Earley, B. 2017. Effect of space allowance and floor type on performance and welfare of finishing beef heifers. Animal, 21:1-10.
Murray, G.M., O'Neill, R.G., Lee, A. McElroy, M., More, S.J., Monagle, A., Earley, B., Cassidy, J.P. 2017. The Bovine Paranasal Sinuses: Bacterial Flora, the Presence of Inducible Nitric Oxide Synthase and the Potential Role of the Paranasal Sinuses in the Persistence of BRSV and BPI-3. (PlosOne Published: March 10, 2017 http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0173845.
Dunn, A., Ashfield, A., Earley, B. , Welsh, M., Gordon, A., McGee, M., Morrison, S. 2017. Effect of concentrate supplementation during the dry period on colostrum quality and impact of colostrum feeding regime on passive transfer of immunity, calf health and performance J Dairy Sci. 2017 Jan;100 (1):357-370.
Dunn, A., Ashfield, A., Earley, B., Welsh, M., Gordon, A., Morrison, S. 2017. Evaluation of factors associated with IgG, fat, protein, and lactose concentration in bovine colostrum, and colostrum management practices within grassland based dairy systems in Northern Ireland. Journal of dairy Science, volume 100 (3) 1-12.
- Cathy McGettigan - Beef cattle housing
- Gaelle Esnault - Bovine respiratory disease (BRD) - pen-side diagnostics
- Gabriela Marquette - Calf disbudding and castration – animal welfare implications
- Niamh Woods - Behaviours for Safer Farming – BeSafe - DAFM Funded project
- Dr. Inmaculada Cuevas Gomez - Recent advances in sequencing technologies to characterize the respiratory microbiome and virome associated with Bovine Respiratory Disease (US – Ireland Tri-partite funded project)