Bernadette EarleyResearch Officer
- Effect of housing characteristics (floor type, underfoot conditions, space allowance etc) on animal welfare and performance of finishing beef cattle
- Predisposing factors for disease and immune-competence in artificially-reared dairy and suckled beef calves from birth to weaning.
- Transcriptomic and immunological characterisation of colostrum from dairy and beef cows with implications for calf health and welfare
- Characterisation of the welfare and performance responses of calves to disbudding and castration procedures
- Bovine respiratory disease (BRD) pathogen diagnostics using next generation sequencing
- Identification of DNA based biomarkers for susceptibility to BRD
- Characterisation of contract rearing and associated biosecurity and disease risks, and outcomes
Research management information system (RMIS) project numbers:
- RMIS 6675: Effect of housing characteristics on animal welfare and performance of finishing beef cattle
- RMIS 6476: Predisposing factors for disease and immunocompetence in artificially-reared dairy and suckled beef calves from birth to weaning.
- RMIS 6569: Immunological characterisation of colostrum from dairy and beef cows with implications for calf health and welfare
- RMIS 0095: Characterisation of the welfare and performance responses of calves to disbudding and castration procedures
- RMIS 0146: Characterisation of contract rearing in Ireland and associated biosecurity and animal disease risks and outcomes (Joint project; Dr. John Mee & Dr. B Earley)
- 2016-09375 Application of next generation sequencing for the identification of DNA based biomarkers in regulatory regions of the genome for susceptibility to bovine respiratory disease complex (Joint project: Dr. Sinead Waters & Dr. B Earley)
B.Sc. (Biochemistry), H.Dip. in Ed., Ph.D. (Pharmacology)
Dr.Earley is a member of: the Farm Animal Welfare Advisory Council (FAWAC – DAFM); the British Association for Psychopharmacology; the European Society for Neurochemistry; the Society for Neuroscience (U.S.A.); the International Society for Behavioural Neuroscience (U.S.A.); the American Society of Animal Science (ASAS) USA;. the British Society of Animal Science (BSAS); the American Association of Veterinary Immunologists (USA); the Conference of Research workers in Animal disease (CRWAD, USA).
Most recent - selected publications (2017-2015)
- Johnston, D., Earley, B., Cormican, P, Murray, G., Kenny, D.A., Waters, S.M., McGee, M., Kelly, A.K., McCabe, M. 2017. Illumina MiSeq 16S amplicon sequence analysis of bovine respiratory disease associated bacteria in lung and mediastinal lymph node tissue. BMC Veterinary Research (DOI: 10.1186/s12917-017-1035-2, December 2017 (13:118).
- Dunn, A., Ashfield, A., Earley, B., Welsh, M., Gordon, A., McGee, M., Morrison, S. 2017. Effect of concentrate supplementation during the dry period on colostrum quality and impact of colostrum feeding regime on passive transfer of immunity, calf health and performance Journal of Dairy Science, 1: 357-370.
- Dunn, A., Ashfield, A., Earley, B., Welsh, M., Gordon, A., Morrison, S. 2017. Evaluation of factors associated with IgG, fat, protein, and lactose concentration in bovine colostrum, and colostrum management practices within grassland based dairy systems in Northern Ireland. Journal of dairy Science, 100 (3): 1-12.
- Murray, G.M., More, S.J., Sammin, D., Casey, M.J., McElroy,M.C., O’Neill, R.G., Earley, B., Ball, H., Cassidy, J.P. 2017. Pathogens, patterns of pneumonia, and epidemiologic risk factors associated with respiratory disease in recently weaned cattle. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, 29 (1): 20-34.
- Earley, B., Buckham Sporer K., Gupta, S. 2017. Invited Review: Relationship between cattle transport, immunity and respiratory disease. ANIMAL 11, (3): 486-492.
- Johnston, D., Kenny, D.A., McGee, M., Waters, S.M., Kelly, A.K., Earley, B. 2016. Electronic feeding behavioural data as indicators of health status in dairy calves. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research DOI:10.1515/ijafr-2016-0016 IJAFR 55(2).
- Murray, G., O' Neill, R.G., More, S.J., McElroy, M.C., Earley, B., Cassidy, J.P. 2016. Review: Evolving views on bovine respiratory disease Part 1: An appraisal of selected key pathogens. The Veterinary Journal. 217: 95-102
- Murray, G., O' Neill, R.G., More, S.J., McElroy, M.C., Earley, B., Cassidy, J.P. Review: Evolving views on bovine respiratory disease Part 2: An appraisal of selected control measures. The Veterinary Journal. 217: 78-82.
- Murray, G.M., Cassidy, J.P., Clegg, T.A., Tratalos, J.A., McClure, J., O Neill, R.G., Casey, M.J., McElroy, M., Earley, B., Bourke, N., More, S.J. 2016. A retrospective epidemiological analysis of fatal cases of bovine respiratory disease diagnosed by the Irish Regional Veterinary Laboratories (RVLs) between 2005 and 2012. Preventive Veterinary Medicine: Preventive Veterinary Medicine 132: 49-56.
- Vandermeulen, J., Bahr, C., Johnston, D., Earley, B., Tullo, E., Fontana, E., Guarino, M., Exadaktylos, V., Berckmans, D. 2016. Early recognition of bovine respiratory disease in calves using automated continuous monitoring of cough sounds. Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, 129: 15-26.
- Johnston, D., Earley, B. Cormican, P., Kenny, D.A., McCabe, M.S., Kelly, A.K., McGee, M., Waters, S.M. Characterisation of the whole blood mRNA transcriptome in Holstein-Friesian and Jersey calves in response to gradual weaning. PlosOne, 11(8), e0159707.
- Johnston, D., Kenny, D.A., Kelly, A.K., McCabe, M., McGee, M., Waters, S.M., Earley, B. 2016. Characterisation of haematological profiles and leukocyte relative gene expression levels in artificially reared Holstein-Friesian and Jersey bull calves undergoing gradual weaning. Animal, 10 (9): 1547-1556.
- Earley, B., McDonnell, B., O’Riordan, E.G. 2015. Effect of floor type on performance, physiological, immunological and behavioural responses of finishing beef steers. Acta Veterinaria Scandinavica, 57:73
- Keane, M., McGee, M., O’Riordan, E.G., Kelly, A.K., Earley, B. 2015. Effect of floor type on hoof lesions, dirt scores, immune response and production of beef bulls. Livestock Science, 180: 220–225.
- O'Shaughnessy, J., Earley, B., Mee, J.F., Doherty, M.L., Crosson, P., Barrett, D., de Waal, T. 2015. Controlling nematodes in dairy calves using targeted selective treatments. Veterinary Parasitology. 209; 221-228.