Dermot ForristalResearch Officer
Mechanisation aspects of crop production and crop production systems including:
- Crop establishment and soil cultivation systems
- Soil compaction and mechanisation
- Crop rotation and Input levels
- Fertiliser spreading and crop spraying
- Machine work rates, efficiency and costs
- Cultivations and Rotations (Teagasc funded)
- Optimising break crop technologies (Opti BC: RSF funded )
- Enabling Conservation tillage (ECT: EIP funded)
- The impact of headlands on soil structure and crop performance (CTF-Optimove: (ICT Agri Eranet DAFM funded)
- B.Agr.Sc UCD 1983
- Ag Science Association
- Irish Tillage and Land Use society
- Tamirat TW, Pedersen SM, Farquharson RJ, de Bruin S, Forristal PD, Sørensen CG, Nuyttens D, Pedersen HH, Thomsen MN. Controlled traffic farming and field traffic management: (2021) Perceptions of farmers groups from Northern and Western European countries. Soil and Tillage Research 2022;217:105288; doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2021.105288.
- Alwarnaidu Vijayarajan VB, Forristal PD, Cook SK, Schilder D, Staples J, Hennessy M, Barth S. (2021) First Detection and Characterization of Cross- and Multiple Resistance to Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase (ACCase)- and Acetolactate Synthase (ALS)-Inhibiting Herbicides in Black-Grass (Alopecurus myosuroides) and Italian Ryegrass (Lolium multiflorum) Populations from Ireland. Agriculture 2021;11(12):1272; doi https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture11121272.
O’Neill M., Lanigan G. J., Forristal P. D., Osborne B. A. (2021) Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Crop Yields From Winter Oilseed Rape Cropping Systems are Unaffected by Management Practices. Frontiers in Environmental Science 2021;9. https://doi.org/article/10.3389/fenvs.2021.716636
- Ward, M., McDonnell, K., Metzger, K., Forristal, P.D. 2021. The effect of machine traffic zones associated with field headlands on soil structure in a survey of 41 tilled fields in a temperate maritime climate. In Soil and Tillage Research 210 (2021) 104938. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2021.104938
- Ward M, Forristal PD, McDonnell K. (2020) Impact of field headlands on wheat and barley performance in a cool Atlantic climate as assessed in 40 Irish tillage fields. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research; doi http://dx.doi.org/10.15212/ijafr-2020-0113.
- Vijayarajan, V.B.A., Forristal, P.D., Cook, S.K., Hennessy, M., Barth, S. (2020) First report on assessing the severity of herbicide resistance to ACCase inhibitors pinoxaden, propaquizafop and cycloxydim in six avena fatua populations in Ireland. Agronomy, Volume 10, Issue 9, September 2020, Article number 1362
- Emmet-Booth, J. P., Holden, N. M., Fenton, O., Bondi, G., & Forristal, P. D. (2020). Exploring the sensitivity of visual soil evaluation to traffic-induced soil compaction. Geoderma Regional, 20 doi:10.1016/j.geodrs.2019.e00243
- M.O’Neill , L. Gallego-Lorenzo , G. J. Lanigan , P. D. Forristal & B. A. Osborne (2020): Assessment of nitrous oxide emission factors for arable and grassland ecosystems, Journal of Integrative Environmental Sciences, DOI: 10.1080/1943815X.2020.1825227
- SUN, X., WANG, H., FORRISTAL, D., FU, W., TUNNEY, H., & ZHANG, C. (2019). Limited spatial transferability of the relationships between kriging variance and soil sampling spacing in some grasslands of Ireland: Implications for sampling design. Pedosphere, 29(5), 577-589. doi:10.1016/S1002-0160(19)60801-5
- Emmet-Booth, J.P. , Forristal, P.D., Fenton, O., Bondi, G., Holden, N.M. (2019) Visual soil evaluation – spade vs profile methods and the information conveyed for soil management. Soil and Tillage Research, 187, 135-143.
- Emmet-Booth, J. P., Bondi, G., Fenton, O., Forristal, P. D., Jeuken, E., Creamer, R. E., & Holden, N. M. (2018). GrassVESS: A modification of the visual evaluation of soil structure method for grasslands. Soil use and Management, 34(1), 37-47. doi:10.1111/sum.12396
- Rathore, R; Dowling, D.N; Forristal, P.D; Spink, J; Cotter, PD; Bulgarelli, D; Germaine, K.J (2017) Crop Establishment Practices Are a Driver of the Plant Microbiota in Winter Oilseed Rape (Brassica napus) Frontiers in microbiology Volume: 8, 1489.
- Emmet-booth, J.P. Forristal, P.D., Fenton, O. Ball, B.C. Holden, N.M. (2016) A review of visual soil evaluation techniques for soil structure. Soil use and management, 32, 623-624.
- Brennan, J., Forristal, P.D., McCabe, T., Hackett R. (2015). The effect of soil tillage system on the nitrogen uptake, grain yield and nitrogen use efficiency of spring barley in a cool Atlantic climate. The Journal of Agricultural Science, 153, pp 862-875.
- Shrestha, S., Abdalla, M., Hennessy, T., Forristal, D., & Jones, M. B. (2015). Irish farms under climate change - is there a regional variation on farm responses? Journal of Agricultural Science, 153(3), 385-398. doi:10.1017/S0021859614000331
- Brennan, J, Hackett R., McCabe, T.,Fortune, R.A., Grant, J., Forristal, P.D., (2014) The effect of tillage system and residue management on grain yield and nitrogen use efficiency in winter wheat in a cool Atlantic climate. European Journal of Agronomy. Volume 54, March 2014, Pages 61–69
- Abdalla, M., Hastings, A., Helmy, M., Prescher, A., Osborne, B., Lanigan, G, Forristal, P.D., Killi, D., Maratha, P.,Williams, M., Rueangritsarakul, K., Smith, P., Nolan, P. and Jones, M.B. (2014). Assessing the combined use of reduced tillage and cover crops for mitigating greenhouse gas emissions from arable ecosystem. Geoderma 223-225 (2014) 9-20 ISSN 0016-706.
- Kennedy T, Fortune R.A. Forristal P.D, Connery J (2013) A comparison of the effects of minimum-till and conventional-till methods, with and without straw incorporation, on slugs, slug damage, earthworms and carabid beetles in autumn-sown cereals. The Journal of Agricultural Science, Cambridge. 151, 605-629.
- Abdalla M., Osborne B., Lanigan G., Forristal D., Williams M., Smith P. and Jones M. B. (2013) Conservation tillage systems: A review of its consequences for greenhouse gas emissions. Soil Use and Management, 29, 199-209.
- van Groenigen, K.J Forristal, P.D; Jones, M; Smyth, N; Schwartz, E; Hungate, B; Dijkstra, P (2013) Using metabolic tracer techniques to assess the impact of tillage and straw management on microbial carbon use efficiency in soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 66, 139-145.
- Donohue S., Forristal D. and Donohue L. A. (2012) Detection of soil compaction using seismic surface waves. Soil & Tillage Research, 128, 54-60.
- Van Groenigen K. J., Hastings A., Forristal D., Roth B., Jones M. and Smith P. (2011) Soil C storage as affected by tillage and straw management: An assessment using field measurements and model predictions. Agriculture Ecosystems & Environment, 140, 218-225.
- Forristal P. D. and Grant J. (2011) The impact of break crop and cereal rotations on crop performance and profit margins. Aspects of Applied Biology, 113, 29-36.
- Van Groenigen K. J., Bloem J., Baath E., Boeckx P., Rousk J., Bode S., Forristal D. and Jones M. B. (2010) Abundance, production and stabilization of microbial biomass under conventional and reduced tillage. Soil Biology & Biochemistry, 42, 48-55.
- Jack Jameson PhD Student
- Shiva Rahimi PhD Student