Vincenzo FallicoResearch Officer
Microbiology and genetics of dairy starters; Microbiology and biochemistry of cheese ripening;
Microflora and cheese quality; New Product Development;
Improvement of bacteriophage resistance in dairy starters.
2006 to 2011 - PhD in Science - University College Cork & Teagasc Food Research Centre, Moorepark, Fermoy, Co. Cork, Ireland
1990 to 1997 - M.Sc. Degree by Research in Biology - University of Messina, Italy.
1. Fallico V, McAuliffe O., Fitzgerald GF, Ross RP. 2012. Novel conjugative plasmids from the natural isolate Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris DPC3758: a repository of genes for the potential improvement of dairy starters. J. Dairy Sci. (accepted).
2. Fallico V, Ross RP, Fitzgerald GF, McAuliffe O. 2011. Genetic response to bacteriophage infection in Lactococcus lactis reveals a four-strand approach involving induction of membrane stress proteins, D-alanylation of the cell wall, maintenance of proton motive force and energy conservation. J. Virol. 85(22):12032-12042.
3. Fallico V, McAuliffe O, Fitzgerald GF, Ross RP. 2011. Plasmids of Raw Milk Cheese Isolate Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis Biovar diacetylactis DPC3901 Suggest a Plant-Based Origin for the Strain. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 77(18):6451-62.
4. Fallico, V., O. McAuliffe, G.F. Fitzgerald, C. Hill and R.P. Ross. 2009. The presence of pMRC01 promotes greater cell permeability and autolysis in lactococcal starter cultures. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 133:217–224.
5. Fallico, V., L. Tuminello, C. Pediliggieri, J. Horne, S. Carpino, and G. Licitra. 2006. Proteolysis and microstructure of Piacentinu Ennese cheese made using different farm technologies. J. Dairy Sci. 89:37-48.