Jie HuangWalsh Scholar
I am interested in exploring better management and improvement of reforestation and afforestation programmes under threat of climate change by investigating plantconservation and ecology, particularly in relation to plant-related invasive pathogens or plants using multi-disciplinary tools including genetics, genomics, pathology and phenotyping.
BroadGen – Genetic diversity and resilience of commercially important broadleaved tree species in Ireland.
I am currently working on the BroadGen project which aims to provide baseline knowledge to support reforestation programmes with higher tolerance to pathogens by:
- Assessing genetic diversity and population structure of alder, downy birch, silver birch, ash and sycamore from seed orchards in Ireland,
- Exploring the susceptibility of ash and alder to Hymenoscyphus fraxineus and Phytophthora sp, respectively, by inoculation experiments, and
- Phenotyping the disease severity in Ash gene-banks under field conditions.
- B.Sc - Landscape, Guangxi University, China
- M.Sc – Forest Ecology, Guangxi University, China
Australian Systematic Botany Society (August 2021 – August 2023)
- Huang, J.; Wee, A. K. S. 2021. The first complete chloroplast genome of medical plant Terminalia neotaliala. Mitochondrial DNA Part B, 5:3, 2442-2443. DOI: 10.1080/23802359.2020.1776647
- Huang, J.; Cvetković, T.; Hinsinger, D.D.; Strijk, J.S.; Wee, A.K.S. 2021. The ecological genomics and distribution of potentially invasive mangrove species Laguncularia racemosa in China. Australian Systematic Botany Society Annual Conference 2021 (Virtual). July 12-16, 2021.
- Huang, J. & Wee, A.K.S. 2019. Spread and colonization of introduced mangrove species Laguncularia racemosa in China. Hong Kong University International Undergraduate Science Research Conference 2019. July 3-5, 2019, Hong Kong.
- Huang, J. & Wee, A.K.S. 2019. Spread and colonization of introduced mangrove species Laguncularia racemosa in China. International Congress of Conservation Biology. July 21-25, 2019, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.