Kieran KilcawleyResearch Officer
The main focus of my research continues to be directly related to flavour in foods and beverages, with a special interest in dairy products. Some key interests involve, identification of chemical compounds responsible for sensory perception, identification of biomarkers for food authentication and traceability, flavour stability including lipid oxidation. I am actively involved in advanced gas chromatography and mass spectrometry (GCMS, GCxGC, GCO), covering areas of aroma extraction, method development and validation, data processing and chemometrics
1996-2002 PhD in Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork “Studies on the Biochemistry and Technology of Enzyme-Modified Cheddar Cheese”
1992-1994 BSc (Hons) Biotechnology, School of Biological Sciences, University of Westminster, London, UK
- Mannion, D.T., Furey, A & Kilcawley, K.N (2016). Comparison and validation of 2 analytical methods for the determination of free fatty acids in dairy products by gas chromatography with flame ionization detection, Journal of Dairy Science, 99, 5047-5063.
- Mannion, D.T., Furey, A & Kilcawley, K.N (2016). Free fatty acids quantification in dairy products. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 69, 1-12.
- O’Callaghan, T.F., Hennessy, D, McAuliffe, S, Kilcawley, K.N, O’Donovan, M, Dillon, P., Ross, R.P & Stanton, C (2016). Effect of pasture versus indoor feeding systems on raw milk composition and quality over an entire lactation. Journal of Dairy Science, 99(12), 9424-9440.
- Yarlagadda, A.B., Wilkinson, M.G., Ryan, S.P., Doolan, I.A., O’Sullivan, M.G., & Kilcawley, K.N (2014). Utilisation of a cell-free extract of lactic acid bacteria entrapped in yeast to enhance flavour development in Cheddar cheese. International Journal of Dairy Technology, 67, 1, 21-30.
- Rulikowska, A., Kilcawley, K.N., Doolan, I.A., Alonso-Gomez, M., Nongonierma, A.B., Hannon, J.A & Wilkinson, M.G (2013). The impact of reduced sodium chloride content on Cheddar cheese quality. International Dairy Journal, 28, 2, 45-55.
- Kilcawley, K.N., Nongonierma, A.B., Hannon, J.A., Doolan, I.A & Wilkinson M.G (2012) Evaluation of commercial enzyme systems to accelerate Cheddar cheese ripening. International Dairy Journal, 26, 50-57.
- Hickey, D., Kilcawley, K.N., Beresford, T.P., Sheehan, E.M and Wilksinson, M.G (2006). The influence of a seasonal milk supply on the biochemical and sensory properties of Cheddar cheese. International Dairy Journal, 16, 679-690.
- Kilcawley, K.N., Wilkinson, M.G. and Fox, P.F. (2002). Determination of key enzyme activities in commercial peptidase and lipase preparations from microbial or animal sources. Enzyme and Microbial Technology 31: 310-320