Peadar LawlorResearch Officer - Pigs
- Nutrition and management of pigs and in particular newly weaned pigs and sows
- Improving feed efficiency in pigs
- Salmonella control in pigs
- Investigation of novel feed additives for pigs
- Evaluation of alternatives to in-feed antibiotics
- Post-market monitoring of genetically modified animal feed ingredients
- Nutritional and post slaughter factors affecting meat eating quality
- Pre-natal muscle development in pigs in response to sow feeding
- Manure management and energy generation from pig manure
- Heat processing of feed ingredients and animal feeds
- OPTIPIG: Optimising annual output per sow by increasing the number of viable piglets born alive and minimising pre-weaning piglet mortality (Coordinator)
- Targeted low cost solutions for control of Salmonella in pig production (LoCost-SalmPig) (Principal Investigator)
- Green Farm: Development of On-Farm Co-Digestion of the Organic Fraction of Municipal Solid Waste and Animal Manure for Bioenergy Production and Resource Recycling (Collaborator)
- ECO-FCE: A whole-systems approach to optimise feed efficiency and reduce the ecological footprint of monogastrics (Work Package Leader & Project Management Board member)
- WET-FEED: Optimising liquid feeding for increased growth and improved feed efficiency in grow-finisher pig (Principal Investigator)
- PIG-ZYME: Examination of feed enzymes as a means of improving feed efficiency in pigs (Principal Investigator)
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Science, University College, Dublin
- Master of Agricultural Science, University College, Dublin
- Bachelor of Agriculture Science, University College, Dublin
- Adjunct Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, National University of Ireland, Galway
- Advisor to EU FP7 project ‘Monitoring of animals for feed-related risks in the long term’(MARLON) (2012-2016)
- Member of the chemical safety sub-committee of the Food Safety Authority of Ireland
- Editorial board member of Journal of Animal science
- Member of the Peer Review College of the Danish Council for Strategic Research, which involves reviewing research project proposals for The Danish Agency for Science, Technology & Innovation
- Past member of European Food Safety Authority scientific panel on additives and products/substances used in animal feed (FEEDAP)
- Member of Agricultural Science Association, Pig Health Society, American Society of Animal Science, British Society of Animal science, European Federation of Animal Science
- Tan, S.P., McLoughlin, P., O’Sullivan, L., Prieto, M.L., Gardiner, G.E., Lawlor, P.G., and Hughes, H. (2013). Development of a novel antimicrobial seaweed extract-based hydrogel wound dressing. International Journal of Pharmaceutics 456: 10–20
- Buzoianu, S.G., Walsh, M.C., Rea, M.C., Quigley, L., O'Sullivan, O., Cotter, P.D., Ross, R.P., Gardiner, G.E., and Lawlor, P.G. Sequence-based analysis of the intestinal microbiota of sows and their offspring fed genetically modified Bt maize in a trans-generational study. Applied & Environmental Microbiology (under revision).
- Leliveld, L.M.C, Riemensperger, A.V., Gardiner, G.E., O'Doherty, J.V., Lynch, P.B., and Lawlor, P.G. (2013). Effect of weaning age and postweaning feeding programme on the growth performance of pigs to 10 weeks of age. Livestock Science 157: 225-233
- Amdi, C., Giblin, L., Hennessy, A.H., Ryan, T., Stanton, C., Stickland, N.C. and Lawlor, P.G. (2013). Feed allowance and maternal backfat levels during gestation influence maternal cortisol levels, milk fat composition and offspring growth,. Journal of Nutritional Science, 2, e1 doi:10.1017/jns.2012.20.
- Carney, K. N., Rodgers, M., Lawlor P. G., and Zhan, X. (2013). Treatment of separated piggery anaerobic digestate liquid using woodchip biofilters, Environmental Technology 34: 663-670
- Troy, S., Lawlor, P.G., O'Flynn, C., and Healy, M. (2013). Impact of biochar addition to soil on greenhouse gas emissions following pig manure application. Soil Biology Biochemistry 60: 173-181.
- Troy S.M., Nolan T., Leahy J.J., Lawlor P.G., Healy, M.G., and Kwapinski, W. (2013). Effect of sawdust addition and composting of feedstock on renewable energy and biochar production from pyrolysis of anaerobically digested pig manure. Biomass and Bioenergy 49: 1-9.
- Troy, S.M., Nolan, T., Kwapinski, W., Leahy, J.J., Healy, M.G., and Lawlor, P.G. (2012). Effect of sawdust addition on composting of separated raw and anaerobically digested pig manure. Journal of Environmental Management 111: 70-77.
- Walsh, M.C., Buzoianu, S.G. Gardiner, G.E. Rea, M.C., O'Donovan, O., Ross, R.P., and Lawlor, P.G. (2013). Effects of feeding Bt MON810 maize to sows during first gestation and lactation on maternal and offspring health indicators. British Journal of Nutrition 109: 873-881.
- Buzoianu, S.G., Walsh, M.C., Rea, M.C., Cassidy, J.P., Ryan, T.P., Ross, R.P., Gardiner G.E., and Lawlor P.G. (2013). Transgenerational effects of feeding genetically modified maize to nulliparous sows and offspring on offspring growth and health. Journal of Animal Science 91: 318-330.
- Prieto, M.L., O’Sullivan, L., Tan, S.P., McLoughlin, P., Hughes, H., O’Connor, P.M., Cotter, P.D., Lawlor, P.G., and Gardiner, G.E. (2012). Assessment of the bacteriocinogenic potential of marine bacteria reveals lichenicidin production by seaweed-derived Bacillus spp. Marine Drugs 10: 2280-2299
- Zhang, M., Lawlor, P.G., Hu, Z., and Zhan, X. (2012). Nutrient removal from separated pig manure digestate liquid using hybrid biofilters, Environmental Technology 34: 645-651.
- Buzoianu, S.G., Walsh, M.C., Rea, M.C., O'Sullivan, O., Cotter, P.D., Ross, R.P., Gardiner, G.E., and Lawlor, P.G.(2012). High-throughput sequence-based analysis of the intestinal microbiota of weanling pigs fed genetically modified MON810 maize expressing Bacillus thuringiensis Cry1Ab (Bt maize) for 31 days. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 78: 4217-4224. (selected as the best paper of the issue)
- Kett, A.P., Bruen, C.M., O’Halloran, F., Chaurin, V., Lawlor, P.G., O’Mahony, J.A., Giblin, L., and Fenelon, M.A. (2012). The effect of α- or β-casein addition to waxy maize starch on postprandial levels of glucose, insulin and incretin hormones in pigs as a model for humans. Food & Nutrition Research 56: 7989.
- Buzoianu, S.G., Walsh, M.C., Rea, M.C., O'Sullivan, O., Crispie, F., Cotter, P.D., Ross, R.P., Gardiner, G.E., and Lawlor, P.G. (2012). The effect of feeding Bt MON810 maize to pigs for 110 days on intestinal microbiota. PLoS ONE 7(5): e33668.