Per-Erik MellanderResearch Officer - Catchment Scientist
Mellander is a Catchment Scientist in the Agricultural Catchments Programme, Department of Environment, Soils and Landuse. His research concerns advancing knowledge in water quality issues under the impacts of agriculture and changing climate, with a special focus on runoff driven loss of nutrients and pesticides in river catchments.
- Agricultural Catchments Programme (https://www.teagasc.ie/environment/water-quality/agricultural-catchments/)
- PestMan (https://www.pestman.ie/)
- Smarter BufferZ (http://www.smarterbufferz.ie/)
- 2004 - PhD: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Aquatic Sciences
- 2001 - LSc: Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Department of Aquatic Sciences
- 1994 - MSc, Uppsala University, Department of Earth Sciences
- 2017 - Lead Scientist (water quality): Agricultural Catchments Programme, Teagasc, Johnstown Castle
- 2016 - Senior Research Officer: Catchment Science, Teagasc, Johnstown Castle
- 2008 - Research Officer: Agricultural Catchments Programme, Teagasc, Johnstown Castle
- 2006 - Researcher and lecturer: Department of Natural and Environmental Sciences, Mid Sweden University
- 2004 - Post-Doc: Department of Forest Ecology, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- 1998 - Research technician: Vindeln Experimental Forests, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
- 1995 - Research technician: Department of Earth Sciences, Uppsala University.
Full publication list: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=Y9yVJzYAAAAJ&hl=en&oi=ao
Journal Articles since 2020:
- Mellander P-E, Jordan P (2021). Charting a perfect storm of water quality pressures in Ireland. Science of the Total Environment, 787, 147576.
- Karki S, Bermejo R, Wilkes R, Mac Monagail M, Daly E, Healy M, Hanafin J, McKinstry A, Mellander P-E, Fenton O, Morrison L (2021). Mapping Spatial Distribution and Biomass of Intertidal Ulva Blooms using Machine Learning and Earth Observation. Frontiers in Marine Science, doi: 10.3389/fmars.2021.633128.
- Mooney D, Coxon C, Richards KG, Gill L, Mellander P-E, Danaher M (2021). An analysis of the spatio-temporal occurrence of anthelmintic veterinary drug residues in groundwater. Science of the Total Environment, 769, 144804.
- Fresne M, Jordan P, Fenton O, Mellander P-E, Daly K (2021). Soil chemical and fertiliser influences on soluble and colloidal phosphorus in agricultural soils. Science of the Total Environment, 754, 142112.
- Campling P, Joris I, Calliera M, Capri E, Marchis A, Kuczyńska A, Vereijken T, Burczyk P, Majewska Z, Juszkowska D, Przychodzka M, Belmans E, Borremans L, Dupon E, Pauwelyn E, Mellander P-E, Fennell C, Fenton O, Burgess E, Puscas, Isla Gil E, Lopez de Alda M, Francès Tudel G, Andersen E, Lajer Højber A, Suciu N (2021). A multi-actor, participatory approach to identify policy and technical barriers to better farming practices that protect our drinking water sources. Science of the Total Environment, 755, 142971.
- Shahvi S, Mellander P-E, Jordan P, Fenton O (2021). A Fuzzy Cognitive Map method for integrated and participatory water governance. Science of the Total Environment, 750, 142193.
- Vero S, McDonald NT, McGrath G, Mellander P-E (2020). The Beast from the East; Impact of an atypical cold weather event on hydrology and nutrient dynamics in Irish catchments. Irish Journal of Agricultural and Food Research, DOI: 10.15212/ijafr-2020-0108 IJAFR, 1-10.
- Khan AK, Barros Costa F, Fenton O, Jordan P, Fennell C, Mellander P-E (2020). Using a multi-dimensional approach for catchment scale herbicide pollution assessments. Science of the Total Environment, 747, 141232.
- Bieroza M, Dupas R, Glendell M, McGrath G, Mellander P-E (2020). Hydrological and Chemical Controls on Nutrient and Contaminant Loss to Water in Agricultural Landscapes. Water, 12(12), 3379.
- Manley A, Collins AL, Joynes A, Mellander P-E, Jordan P (2020). Comparing extraction methods for biomarker steroid characterisation from soil and slurry. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 231:254.
- Mooney D, Coxon C, Richards KG, Gill L, Mellander P-E, Danaher M (2020). An investigation of anticoccidial veterinary drugs as emerging organic contaminants in groundwater. Science of the Total Environment, 746, 141116.
- Mooney D, Coxon C, Richards KG, Gill L, Mellander P-E, Danaher M (2020).A new sensitive method for the simultaneous chromatographic separation and tandem mass spectrometry detection of anticoccidials, including highly polar compounds, in environmental waters. Journal of Chromatography A, doi.org/10.1016/ j.chroma.2020. 460857.
- Morton P, Fennell C, Cassidy R, Doody D, Fenton O, Mellander P-E, Jordan P (2020). A review of the pesticide MCPA in the land-water environment and emerging research needs. WIRES-water, doi:10.1002/wat2.1402.