Song MiaoResearch Officer - Food Material Sciences & Food Structure Design
Prof. Song Miao is Senior Research Officer and Principal Investigator in Teagasc Food Research Centre, Moorepark, Ireland. His research interests cover physio-chemical properties of biomaterials, dehydration and granulation, foods structural and textual designs, powder technology, state transition and phase transition in foods, encapsulation of functional food ingredients, functional delivery, stabilization of probiotic and dairy ingredients, dairy technology, plant-based ingredients. His current research programme in Teagasc focus on designing food products by understanding materials product behaviour and the underlying physics of structuring processes and the behaviour of foods in processing and physiological environment.
PhD in Food Science and Technology, University College Cork, National University of Ireland. Cork, Ireland
MSc in Food Science, Shanghai Ocean University, China
Bachelor of Engineering in Food Engineering, Shanghai Ocean University, China
2009--present: Senior Research Officer (Permanent) /Principal Investigator, Teagasc Food Research Centre, Moorepark, Ireland
2014--present: Chair Professor, Fujian Agriculture and Forestry University (FAFU), China. (http://spxy.fafu.edu.cn/23/ce/c447a9166/page.htm)
2018--Present: Director (Founding), China-Ireland International Cooperation Centre for Food Material Sciences and Structure Design.
2018--Present: Adjunct Professor, School of Food and Nutritional Sciences, University College Cork, Ireland
2018--present: Adjunct Professor, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
2019--Present: Adjunct Professor, Jimei University, Xiamen, China (https://www.jmu.edu.cn/info/1041/38526.htm)
2006-2009: Research Manager/Drying and Granulation Scientist.
Unilever Food and Health Research Institute, Unilever R&D
Vlaardingen, the Netherlands
2005-2006: Postdoctoral Researcher, Biotechnology Centre, Teagasc, Moorepark, Ireland
2001-2004: Research Scientist/PhD Candidate, School of Food and Nutritional Science, University College Cork, Ireland
1996-2001: Senior Research Fellow, Shanghai Ocean University, Shanghai, China
1994-2001: Senior Lecturer. Shanghai Ocean University, Shanghai, China
- Editor/ Editorial Board Member for the Food Quality and Safety Journal (Oxford Acedemic)
- Editorial Board Member for Food Science and Human Wellness (Journal),
- Associate Editor for Journal of Future Foods
- Editorial Board member for the Journal of Food Science and Nutrition (Wiley online) (https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/page/journal/20487177/homepage/editorialboard.html)
- Editorial Board Member for Applied Food Research (Elsevier),
- International Editorial Advisory Board Member for Drying Technology Journal (Taylor & Francis online) (https://www.tandfonline.com/toc/ldrt20/current)
- Advisory Board Committee Member for the China Association for the Promotion of International Agricultural Cooperation (CAPIAC). (http://www.capiac.org.cn/h-col-112.html )
List of selected recent peer reviewed publications (*Corresponding author), for full publications list please refer to profiles at Researchgates, ORCI and ResearchID
- Han, J., Fitzpatrick, J., Cronin, K., & Miao, S.* (2021). Dairy powder breakage: Mechanisms, characterization methods, impacted properties and influencing factors. Trends in Food Science and Technology, 114, 608-624.
- Lin, D., Kelly, A. L., & Miao, S.* (2021). Alginate-based emulsion micro-gel particles produced by an external/internal O/W/O emulsion-gelation method: Formation, suspension rheology, digestion, and application to gel-in-gel beads. Food Hydrocolloids, 120, 106926.
- Wu, S., Cronin, K., Fitzpatrick, J., & Miao, S.* (2021). Updating insights into the rehydration of dairy-based powder and the achievement of functionality. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 1-18.
- Liu, N., Qin, L., Mazhar, M., & Miao, S.* (2021). Integrative transcriptomic-proteomic analysis revealed the flavor formation mechanism and antioxidant activity in rice-acid inoculated with Lactobacillus paracasei and Kluyveromyces marxianus. Journal of Proteomics, 238, 104158.
- Chi, C., Li, X.*, Huang, S., Chen, L., Zhang, Y., Li, L., & Miao, S.* (2021). Basic principles in starch multi-scale structuration to mitigate digestibility: A review. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 109, 154-168.
- Han, J., Fitzpatrick, J., Cronin, K., Maidannyk, V., & Miao, S.* (2020). Breakage of infant milk formula through three different processing methods and its influence on powder properties. Journal of Food Engineering, 282, 109997.
- Lin, D., Kelly, A. L., & Miao, S.* (2020). Preparation, structure-property relationships and applications of different emulsion gels: Bulk emulsion gels, emulsion gel particles, and fluid emulsion gels. Trends in Food Science & Technology, 102, 123-137-327.
- Wu, S., Fitzpatrick, J., Cronin, K., & Miao, S.* (2020). Effect of sodium carbonate on the rehydration of milk protein isolate powder. Food Hydrocolloids, 99, 105305.
- Ma, X., Yan, T., Hou, F., Chen, W., Miao, S.*, & Liu, D.* (2019). Formation of soy protein isolate (SPI)-citrus pectin (CP) electrostatic complexes under a high-intensity ultrasonic field: Linking the enhanced emulsifying properties to physicochemical and structural properties. Ultrasonics sonochemistry, 59, 104748.
- Lin, D., Zhang, L., Li, R., Zheng, B., Rea, M. C., & Miao, S.* (2019). Effect of plant protein mixtures on the microstructure and rheological properties of myofibrillar protein gel derived from red sea bream (Pagrosomus major). Food Hydrocolloids, 96, 537-545.
- X., Chen, J., Guo, Z., Zheng, Y., Rea, M., Zheng, X., Zheng, B., & Miao, S.* (2019). Using polysaccharides for the enhancement of functionality of foods: A review, Trends in Food Science & Technology, 86, 311-327.
- Chen, J., Chen, Y., Ge, H., Wu, C., Pang, J., & Miao, S.* (2018). Multi-scale structure, pasting and digestibility of adlay (Coixlachryma-jobi L.) seed starch, Food Hydrocolloids, 89, 885-891.
- Wu, S., Fitzpatrick, J., Cronin, K., & Miao, S.* (2018). The effect of pH on the wetting and dissolution of milk protein isolate powder. Journal of Food Engineering, 240, 114-119.
- Lu, W., Zheng, B., & Miao, S.*. (2018). Improved emulsion stability and modified nutrient release by structuring O/W emulsions using konjac glucomannan, Food Hydrocolloids , 81, 120-128.
- Duanquan Lin, Wei Lu, Alan L. Kelly, Longtao Zhang, Baodong Zheng, Song Miao* (2017). Interactions of vegetable proteins with other polymers: Structure-function relationships and applications in the food industry, Trends in Food Science & Technology, 68, 130-144.
- Bao, C., Zeng, H., Zhang, Y., L. Zhang, Lu, X., Guo, Z., Miao, S.*, Zheng, B.* (2017). Structural characteristics and prebiotic effects of Semen coicis resistant starches (type 3) prepared by different methods, International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 105, 671-679.
- Li, R., Roos, Y. H., & Miao, S.* (2017). Characterization of mechanical and encapsulation properties of lactose/maltodextrin/WPI matrix. Food Hydrocolloids, 63, 149-159.
- Mao, L., Roos, Y. H., Biliaderis, C. G., & Miao, S.* (2017). Food Emulsions as Delivery Systems for Flavor Compounds―A Review. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition, 57(15), 3173–3187.
- Lu, W., Kelly, A. L., & Miao, S.* (2017). Improved bioavailability of encapsulated bioactive nutrient delivered through a monoglyceride-structured O/W emulsion. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 65(14):3048-3055.
- Ji, J., Cronin, K., Fitzpartick, J., & Miao, S.* (2017). Enhanced wetting behaviour of whey protein isolate powder: the different effects of lecition addition by fludised bed agglomeration and coating processes. Food Hydrocolloids , 71, 94-101.