Carmel O'ConnorResearch Technician (Analyst)
I am responsible for the elemental analysis of Soil, Sediment ,Sludge, Plant, Biomass, Slurry and Fertiliser samples for Total Carbon, Nitrogen and Sulphur content using high temperature combustion systems. I also carry out digests on soils and sediment followed by analysis for Organic Carbon content. I prepare and analyse in the region of 18000 samples annually and I am responsible for quality control in the area in which I work.
The instruments which I have responsibility for are two LECO CNS928 which are macro analysers used to determine Total Carbon, Nitrogen and Sulphur. Also a LECO TruSpec which is a micro analyser for Total Carbon and Nitrogen analysis.
I am interested in horticulture and worked in the Teagasc soft fruit research centre where I was responsible for protected crop trials and the recording and analysing of the data I produced.
I am also very interested in instrumentation and new methodology. I have previously worked in soil and crop preparation and soil nutrient analysis. Some of the instrument which I have received training on include the Malvern 2000 for particle size analysis, trace analysis by ICP-OES, isotope analysis by Liquid Scintillation Counter, HPLC and Vario MAX cube. I am a health and safety supervisor for a number of laboratories and a fire officer for the Johnstown research building.
I support all projects which require total Nitrogen, Carbon and Organic Carbon analysis and multiple projects which require total Sulphur by combustion.
- 2021 - Fire Safety Management
- 2019 - Radiological Protection
- 2017 - Presentation Skills Level 6
- 2017 - Good Laboratory Practice and Core Skills Level 6
- 2016 - Human Resource Management Level 6
- 2014 - Crops Nutrition Management Certificate Level 6
- 2013 - MSc in Environmental Science Level 9
- 2012 - PG Dip in Environmental Science Level 9
- 2010 - BSc in Horticultural Science Level 7
- 1995 - Diploma in Commercial Horticulture
- 1994 - Royal Horticultural Society Certificate in Horticulture
- 1993 - Certificate in Commercial Horticulture
- 1992 - Basic Horticultural Skills Certificate