Dilip RaiResearch Officer
- Nutraceuticals: extraction, characterisation and quantification of health-beneficial molecules from food.
- Waste valorisation: recovery of high value ingredients from food processing by-products or underutilised resources for food preservation, functional food & nutraceutical applications.
- Analytical Chemistry: Chromatography, Mass Spectrometry.
Bioactivities: In vitro antioxidant, antiinflammatory, anti-diabetic and anticholinesterase (memory) of extracts from food.
Algae4IBD: Algae produce compounds that can relieve pain and inflammation. (H2020, Grant N° 101000501) www.algae4ibd.eu
BSG-BioBev: Innovative plant-based functional beverages from brewers' spent grain (Teagasc & H2020 Marie Curie funded)
Flavoromics: Cutting edge flavour chemistry technology and advanced analytical tools to identify dietary biomarkers in grass-fed milk and dairy products (DAFM funded, 2021R616)
RubusElite: Development of a novel high protein, polyphenol enriched dairy beverage for athletes and physically active (DAFM funded, 17/F/277)
U-PROTEIN: Unlocking Protein Resource Opportunities To Evolve Ireland’s Nutrition (DAFM funded, 2019/PROG/702) http://u-protein.ie/
BiOrbic: A world-leading SFI research centre devoted to the bioeconomy through excellence in research, new discovery and innovation for the development of a sustainable, circular bioeconomy. (SFI funded, 16/RC/3889) https://biorbic.com )
SMI-BIO: Seaweed Microbe Interactions to enhance bioactive (DAFM funded, 15/F/698)
PhD: Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.
BSc: DIT Kevin Street, degree awarded by Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Member of the Irish Mass Spectrometry Society
- Tsikrika, K.; Tzima, K.; Rai, D.K. Recent advances in anti-browning methods in minimally processed potatoes—a review. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation n/a, e16298.
- Rai, D. K., & Tzima, K. (2021). A Review on Chromatography–Mass Spectrometry Applications on Anthocyanin and Ellagitannin Metabolites of Blackberries and Raspberries. Foods, 10(9), 2150.
- Birsan, R. I., Wilde, P., Waldron, K. W., & Rai, D. K. (2021). Anticholinesterase Activities of Different Solvent Extracts of Brewer’s Spent Grain. Foods, 10(5), 930.
- Tzima, K., Brunton, N. P., McCarthy, N. A., Kilcawley, K. N., Mannion, D. T., & Rai, D. K. (2021). The Effect of Carnosol, Carnosic Acid and Rosmarinic Acid on the Oxidative Stability of Fat-Filled Milk Powders throughout Accelerated Oxidation Storage. Antioxidants, 10(5), 762.
- Tzima, K., Brunton, N. P., Lyng, J. G., Frontuto, D., & Rai, D. K. (2021). The effect of pulsed electric field as a pre-treatment step in ultrasound assisted extraction of phenolic compounds from fresh rosemary and thyme by-products. Innovative Food Science & Emerging Technologies, 69, 102644.
- Tsikrika, K., Walsh, D., Joseph, A., Burgess, C. M., & Rai, D. K. (2021). High-Pressure Processing and Ultrasonication of Minimally Processed Potatoes: Effect on the Colour, Microbial Counts, and Bioactive Compounds. Molecules, 26(9), 2614.
- Cabral, E. M., Mondala, J. R. M., Oliveira, M., Przyborska, J., Fitzpatrick, S., Rai, D. K., Sivagnanam, S. P., Garcia-Vaquero, M., O'Shea, D., & Devereux, M. (2021). Influence of molecular weight fractionation on the antimicrobial and anticancer properties of a fucoidan rich-extract from the macroalgae Fucus vesiculosus. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 186, 994-1002.
- Rajauria, G., Ravindran, R., Garcia-Vaquero, M., Rai, D. K., Sweeney, T., & O'Doherty, J. (2021). Molecular characteristics and antioxidant activity of laminarin extracted from the seaweed species Laminaria hyperborea, using hydrothermal-assisted extraction and a multi-step purification procedure. Food Hydrocolloids, 112, 106332.
- Zhang, Z., Poojary, M. M., Choudhary, A., Rai, D. K., Lund, M. N., & Tiwari, B. K. (2021). Ultrasound processing of coffee silver skin, brewer’s spent grain and potato peel wastes for phenolic compounds and amino acids: A comparative study. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 58(6), 2273-2282.
- Low, D. Y., Micheau, P., Koistinen, V. M., Hanhineva, K., Abrankó, L., Rodriguez-Mateos, A., da Silva, A. B., van Poucke, C., Almeida, C., & Andres-Lacueva, C. (2021). Data sharing in PredRet for accurate prediction of retention time: Application to plant food bioactive compounds. Food Chemistry, 357, 129757.
- Tzima, K., Rai, D.K., Lyng, J.G., & Brunton, N. P. (2019). Pulsed electric field as a pre-treatment in ultrasound assisted extraction of polyphenols from fresh rosemary and thyme. 2nd Food Chemistry Conference: Shaping the Future of Food Quality, Safety, Nutrition and Health, 17-19 September 2019, Seville, SPAIN.
- Birsan, R. I., Wilde, P., Waldron, K. W., & Rai, D. K. (2019). Recovery of polyphenols from brewer’s spent grains. 13th World Congress on Polyphenols Applications: Polyphenols Applications, MALTA, September 30 - October 1, 2019.
- Haren, D., Walsh, D., Kirke, D.A., Stengel, D.B., & Rai D.K. (2019). Anti-oxidant and anti-microbial activities of Irish seaweeds. 13th World Congress on Polyphenols Applications: Polyphenols Applications, MALTA, September 30 - October 1, 2019.
- Tsikrika, K., & Rai, D.K. (2019). “The effect of high pressure processing on polyphenol oxidase activity, nutrients, and phenolics in Irish potato cultivars” at 33rd EFFoST International Conference, 12-14 November 2019, Rotterdam, THE NETHERLANDS.(Oral presentation)
- Muldoon, A., Tsikrika, K., O’Brien, N., & Rai, D.K. (2019). “Spectrometry Studies on the Effect of High Pressure Processing on Polyphenol oxidase Inactivation, Glycaemic Index and Phenolics of Irish Potato Cultivars” at European Conference on Spectroscopy of Biological Molecules, 19-22 August 2019, Dublin, Ireland. (Oral presentation)
Current Student(s): 1. Gontorn Putsakaram (University College Dublin), 2. Rares Birsan (University of East Anglia, Norwich, UK).
Past Students: Aikaterini Tzima (UCD), Dara Kirke (NUI Galway), Bibha Kumari (UCD), Nirupama Gangopadhyay (UCD), Antonik Pawel (NUI Galway)