Ian ShortResearch Officer - Forestry
- Applied and alternative silviculture, predominantly of broadleaf forests
- Potential end-uses of broadleaf thinnings
- Broadleaf Silviculture Project
- Transformation of Sitka spruce to CCF
- Exploitation of small diameter alder
- Ash restructuring
- Ph.D.: Queen’s University, Belfast. “Outputs, Ecological Interactions and Bioeconomic Modelling of a Novel Silvopastoral System in Lowland Ireland.”
- M.Sc. by Research: Waterford Institute of Technology. “Farm Forestry: Agroforestry For Development.”
- B.Sc. Agroforestry, University of Wales, Bangor
- Spazzi, J., O’Connell, J., Sykes, J., Short, I. and Garvey, S. 2020. The Hardwood Focus Group: Exploring utilisation potential of Irish broadleaf forests. Forestry & Energy Review 10(1): 24-29.
- Llana, D.F., Short, I. and Harte, A.M. 2020. Use of non-destructive test methods on Irish hardwood standing trees and small-diameter round timber for prediction of mechanical properties. Annals of Forest Science 77, 62.
- Wilson, E., Ní Dhubháin, Á. and Short, I. 2020. Transforming Sitka spruce plantations. TResearch 15(1): 32-33.
- Llana, D.F., Short, I. and Harte, A.M. 2019. Acoustic measurement differences on trees and logs from hardwoods in wet and dry condition. In: Wang, X., Sauter, U.H. and Ross, R.J. (eds). Proceedings: 21st International Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood Symposium. General Technical Report FPL-GTR-272. Madison, WI: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Forest Service, Forest Products Laboratory. pp. 561-568.
- Spazzi, J., Garvey, S. and Short, I. 2019. Developing new hardwood markets for Irish timber. Irish Forestry 76 (1&2): 60-72.
- Spazzi, J., O Tuama, P., Wilson, E. and Short, I. 2019. Comparison of three inventory protocols for use in privately-owned plantations under transformation to Continuous Cover Forestry. Irish Forestry 76 (1&2): 8-28.
- Pach, M. et al. 2018. Silviculture of mixed forests: A European overview of current practices and challenges. In: Bravo-Oviedo, A., Pretzsch, H. and del Río, M. (Eds.) Dynamics, Silviculture and Management of Mixed Forests. Managing Forest Ecosystems 31. Springer International Publishing, pp. 185-253.
- Short, I. and Hawe, J. 2018. Ash dieback in Ireland – A review of European management options and case studies in remedial silviculture. Irish Forestry 75 (1&2): 44-72.
- Short, I. and Hawe, J. (2018). Living with ash dieback - Silviculture systems for Irish ash. 8th Hardwoods Conference, Sopron, Hungary, 25–26 October, 2018.
- Llana, D.F., Short, I., O’Ceallaigh, C., Harte, A.M. (2018). Mechanical Properties Estimation by Non-destructive Testing of Irish Hardwood Round Timber from Thinnings for Construction Purposes. 8th Hardwoods Conference, Sopron, Hungary, 25–26 October, 2018.
- Wilson, E., Short, I., Ní Dhubháin, Á. and Purser, P. (2018). Continuous cover forestry: The rise of transformational silviculture. Forestry Journal 288: 38-40.
- Coll, L. et al. (2018). Knowledge gaps about mixed forests: What do European forest managers want to know and what answers can science provide? Forest Ecology and Management 407: 106-115.
- Sevillano, I., Short, I., Campion, J., Grant, O.M., Grant, J. and O’Reilly, C. (2018). Comparison of photosynthetic performance of Fagus sylvatica seedlings under natural and artificial shading. Environmental and Experimental Botany 152: 90-96.
- Wilson, E., Short, I., Ní Dhubháin, Á. and Purser, P. (2018). Transforming Sitka spruce plantations to continuous cover forestry. Forestry & Energy Review 8(1):38-40.
- Hawe, J. and Short, I. (2016). Broadleaf thinning in Ireland – a review of European silvicultural best practice. Irish Forestry 73:25-64
- Sevillano, I., Short, I., Grant, J. and O’Reilly, C. (2016). Effects of light availability on morphology, growth and biomass allocation of Fagus sylvatica and Quercus robur seedlings. Forest Ecology and Management 374: 11-19.
- Short, I., Hawe, J., Campion, J. and Byrne, R. (2015). A review of stumping back and case study of its use in the rehabilitation of poorly performing pole-stage sycamore. Irish Forestry 72: 58-77.
- Short, I. and Campion, J. (2015). How remedial silviculture can improve poorly performing pole-stage broadleaves. Forestry & Energy Review 5(2): 14-16.
- Bravo-Oviedo, A. et al. (2014). European mixed forests: definition and research perspectives. Forestry Systems 23(3): 518-533.
- Short, I. and Campion, J. (2014) Coppice-with-standards: An old silvicultural system with new potential? Forestry & Energy Review 4(1): 42-44.
- Short, I. (2013). The potential for using a free-growth system in the rehabilitation of poorly performing pole-stage broadleaf stands. Irish Forestry 70: 157-171.
- Hawe, J. and Short, I. (2012). Poor performance of broadleaf plantations and possible remedial silvicultural systems – a review. Irish Forestry 69 (1&2): 126-147.
- Short, I. and Hawe, J. (2012). Possible silvicultural systems for use in the rehabilitation of poorly performing broadleaf stands – Coppice-with-standards. Irish Forestry 69 (1&2): 148-166.
- Short, I. (2011). Tending and thinning of broadleaves: A simple guide to selecting quality trees. Forestry & Energy Review 1(2): 34-36.
- Short, I., Bulfin, M. and Radford, T. (2008). COST E42 Growing Valuable Broadleaves Silviculture Matrix: An Irish Example (PDF). Poster.
- Short, I. and Radford, T. (2008). Silvicultural Guidelines for the Tending and Thinning of Broadleaves (PDF). Teagasc
- Short, I., Radford, T. and Bulfin, M. (2007) BROADFORM – Silviculture of new broadleaved plantations: shaping, tending and thinning. Final Report. Submitted to COFORD.
- Short, I., Bulfin, M. and Radford, T. (2006). Formative shaping of broadleaf trees (PDF). Todays Farm 17(6): 26.
- Short, I., McAdam, J., Culleton, N. and Douglas, G. (2005). Establishment of a bovine Quercus silvopastoral experiment in lowland Ireland (PDF). Mosquera-Losada, M R, Riguerio, A. and McAdam, J. (eds.). Silvopastoralism and Sustainable Land Management. CAB International. ISBN 0851990061.
- Short, I., Culleton, N., McAdam, J. and Douglas, G. (2005). Establishment of a silvopastoral agroforestry system in Co Wexford (PDF). Agricultural Research Forum 2005. ISBN 184170384
- Kent, T. and Short, I. (2004). Agricultural Uses – Study Module. A self-study educational CD-Rom. Europeans Using Roundwood Innovatively and Sustainably (EURIS). Leonardo da Vinci Programme.
- Collier, P., Short, I. and Dorgan, J. (2004). Markets for non-wood forest products (PDF). COFORD, Dublin. ISBN 1902696409
Directions to his office: Ashtown Food Research Centre.
- Short, I. and Hawe, J. (2018). Living with ash dieback - Silviculture systems for Irish ash (Fraxinus excelsior). 8th Hardwoods Conference, Sopron, Hungary, 25–26 October, 2018.
- Short, I. (2018). Productive Woodlands - a researcher's perspective (PDF). Presentation to Productive Woodlands Conference, Glenarm Estate, Co Antrim. 26 September 2018.
- Short, I. (2018). Ash dieback - silvicultural options? (PDF). Presentation to DAFM ash dieback review stakeholder meeting. 12 April 2018.
- YouTube video, 30 April 2018: Silvicultural education in Ireland: Challenges and opportunities. Native Woodlands conference, 30 April 2018.
- YouTube video, 6 May 2017: Growing quality broadleaves. TIMBER 2017, Stradbally Hall Estate, Co Laois.
- YouTube video, 23 October 2015: Selecting and marking Potential Crop Trees: the 2-stick method
- Short, I. (2010) Ash Tending and Thinning. Invited presentation. Guild of Irish Hurley Makers workshop: “The use of Irish ash for hurley production”, Hayes Hotel, Thurles, 5 July 2010.
- Short, I. and Radford, T. (2009). Tending and Thinning of Broadleaves. Invited presentation to the IFA, 18 June 2009.
- Short, I. and Kent, T. (2004). Agroforestry: A land-use system with potential on Irish farms (PDF). 8th Institutes of Technology, Science and Computing Research Colloquium, 26–28 May, 2004.
- Kent, T. and Short, I. (2004). The perceptions of farmers to afforestation in Ireland (PDF). 8th Institutes of Technology, Science and Computing Research Colloquium, 26–28 May, 2004. [Oral presentation]
- Edward (Ted) Wilson, Ph.D. candidate – Transformation of Sitka spruce (Picea sitchensis) plantation to continuous cover forestry
- Colin Marren, M.Sc. candidate – Exploring potential end-uses of small diameter alder (Alnus glutinosa)
- Dr Susan Foreman (2019), Ph.D. – “Impact of planting density on the growth and physiological responses of important short-rotation forestry species in Ireland”.
- Dr Ignacio Sevillano (2016), Ph.D. – “Morphological and physiological responses of Fagus sylvatica and Quercus robur seedlings to light availability”.
- Jerry Hawe (2014), M.Sc. – “Early thinning of ash, Fraxinus excelsior L., plantations in Ireland – thinning intensity and crop tree growth responses”.