The Grand Challenges
Virtual Beef Week - Day 5 - Friday July 10th
Beef Talk - 12 midday
This morning the Beef Talk webinar will focus on the economics of both dairy calf to beef and suckler to beef productions systems, and at future policy developments. The webinar will be available below at 12 midday
Friday mornings Beef Talk panellists:
- Pearse Kelly – Economics of Dairy Calf to Beef Systems
- Paul Crosson – Economics of Suckler beef Systems
- Kevin Hanrahan – Future Beef Policy
Live@Grange - 7pm
Addressing the Grand Challenges
The live panel discussion from Teagasc Grange at 7pm will have a focus on the major challenges facing the Beef sector.
Director of Research in Teagasc, Professor Frank O’ Mara will introduce this session
We will hear a number of important questions raised by beef farmers to be addressed by a panel of speakers.
Moderator: Thia Hennessy, Professor of Agri-Food Economics at UCC
- EU Perspective – Mairead McGuinness MEP Vice President
- Teagasc Perspective – Director of Teagasc, Professor Gerry Boyle
- Farmer Perspective – Tim Cullinan, IFA President
- Barry Cowen TD - Minister for Agriculture and the Marine.
- Genomic selection for compensatory growth in beef cattle
- Developing more sustainable beef finishing strategies through improved nutrition and growth of animals
- Grass-forage and concentrate beef: production and quality attributes
- The impact of housing characteristics (space allowance, floor type) on welfare and performance of beef cattle
- Understanding how targeted early life nutrition can advance the availability of high quality semen from genetically elite young bulls
Stay tuned to our social media channels throughout the day or search #VirtualBeefWeek. We’ll be dedicating this week to Teagasc Beef and will be posting videos and updates throughout each day