Virtual Beef Week - Suckler Beef Production
Day 1 of Virtual Beef Week - Monday July 6th
Adam Woods, Beef Editor with the Irish Farmers Journal hosts #BeefTalk each day at 12pm.
Episode 1 of Beef Talk is about Suckler Beef Production and Adam sits down with Michael McManus, Technician for Derrypatrick Herd in Teagasc Grange; Bernie Earley, Principal Research Officer in Animal Health and Alan Twomey, Genetics Researcher, Teagasc Moorepark. Adam also met up with Paul Crosson, Teagasc Beef Enterprise Leader to discuss what challenges and opportunities lie ahead for the Irish beef sector #VirtualBeefWeek
Focusing on the Derrypatrick Herd at the Teagasc Animal and Grassland, Research and Innovation centre, in Grange County Meath, Monday mornings Beef Talk looked at how it achieves its breeding targets of 100% AI and a very compact calving.
- Michael Mc Manus who manages the herd will discuss how this is achieved in practice.
- Bernadette Earley will outline the animal health programme for the suckler herd, including the vaccination plan and the castration of male calves.
- Alan Twomey will talk about differences between selecting on the basis of Replacement Index and the Terminal Index.
Live@Grange - 7pm
Join us this evening at 7pm live from Teagasc Grange. We will have updates from the Suckler beef research at Teagasc Grange along with how it has been implemented at farm level
Day 1 focused on Suckler beef research at Grange & it's implementation at farm level. David Kenny discussed his research on Bull fertility AI & synchronisation. Vet Frank O Sullivan discussed reducing antibiotic use. Orla Keane discussed her work on parasite control & anthelmintic resistance
- David Kenny will talk about his research on Bull fertility and on synchronisation programmes that are being used to improve compact calving and the use of AI at farm level with video clips from farmers using the technology.
- Frank O Sullivan, who is the Vet for Teagasc Grange, will discuss the practical steps farmers need to look at if they are to reduce their antibiotic use and the role of health planning on suckler farms.
- Orla Keane will discuss her work on parasite control, anthelmintic resistance and where suckler farmers could improve. She will also look at how management might have to change if the legislation around anthelmintic availability and use changes.
- Calving and Breeding Update
- Genetics Research
- Antimicrobial drug usage in calves on commercial beef and dairy farms in Ireland
- Anthelmintic resistance
- Nutritional management of replacement heifers for optimal reproductive efficiency in the suckler herd
Lessons from the Derrypatrick herd – Q & A Today's Farm - June/July 2020
Stay tuned to our social media channels throughout the day or search #VirtualBeefWeek for all information posted. We’ll be dedicating this week to Teagasc Beef and will be posting videos and updates throughout each day.
On Monday, watch our social media channels and Teagasc Daily for videos and information on:
- Getting Cows in for breeding;
- Using Vasectomised Bulls;
- Beep – Weighing, Meal Feeding Weanlings, Proper Vaccination Technique, Collecting Faecal Samples;
- Grassland Management;
- Key components in achieving 2 YO Calving;
- Castration – Best Practice;
- BDGP – Where to next?;
- BRD clinical diagnosis – early detection;
- BRD infectious diagnostics;
- Improving Breeding Efficiency;
- Practical Considerations in Health Planning
- The future of Anthelmintic Use in the Suckler Herd
Along with video stories from farmers on how synchronisation has worked on their farm and reducing antibiotic use at farm level