Grass Management for Sustainable Beef Production
Virtual Beef Week Thursday July 9th Proceedings
‘Building resilience within your grass based system’ - the theme of the morning’s Beef Talk webinar.
Beef Talk - Panel
- Mark McGee will discuss the feeding during the 1st winter and finishing period, looking at silage and concentrate feeding, target Average Daily Gain, and compensatory growth.
- John Watchorn, County Wexford Beef Grassland Farmer of the year 2018 ,a store-to-finish beef farmer will outline how he manages grassland in practice. John will provide an overview of his grass-based beef system and will discuss key ways to build resilience on your farm, including winter-feeding and grazing management.
- Catherine Egan will discuss the 2nd grazing season for cattle. Teagasc advisor Terry Carroll will discuss the finishing period.
Live@Grange - 7pm
The live panel discussion from Teagasc Grange a focused on growing and utilising more grass.
On the evenings live panel discussion facilitated by Aidan Murray was entitled ‘How my farm grows more grass?’ Suckler farmer Sean Roddy from County Kildare gave an insight into his system.
Sean was joined on the panel by his Teagasc advisor Christy Watson and Edward O’Riordan, Teagasc Grange.
- Resilient grass-based systems for beef cattle
- Parasite control in growing cattle at pasture
- Want 50kg more winter weight gain for no extra cost? Cut silage in May instead of June
- Winter Finishing: Grass-based systems
- Feeding weanlings during the winter
- How to grow and utilise more grass on my farm?
Stay tuned to our social media channels throughout the day or search #VirtualBeefWeek. We’ll be dedicating this week to Teagasc Beef and will be posting videos and updates throughout each day
On Thursday, watch our social media channels and Teagasc Daily for videos and information on;
- Silage Quality: Joe Patton
- Animal Health at grass – Parasites: Orla Keane
- Cattle performance at grass - Grange 2020: Eddie O’Riordan
- Grass 10 Course farmer: Mayo: Cathal Irwin
During the day technical updates on various aspects of cattle management, and videos with a selection of farmers around the country discussing how they manage grass on their farms, will be provided.