Virtual Beef Week - Dairy Calf to Beef Production
Day 2 - Tuesday July 7th
Tuesday morning’s Teagasc Beef Talk webinar focused on the Grange dairy calf-to-beef system study and the key components that are helping achieve high performance.
- Donall Fahy will discuss the management of the calf-to-beef herd and how it has performed to date.
- Bernadette Earley will highlight the major disease and welfare challenges faced across calf-to-beef systems.
- Alan Dillon will outline the components which are working on-farm and helping farmers in the Green Acres programme increase efficiency.
The live panel discussion from Teagasc Grange at 7pm will have a focus on calf selection.
If you have a question or comment for our panel: -
Text the word TEAGASC followed by your question, name and location to 51444. (ROI only; standard network charges apply) or join in on twitter at #VirtualBeefWeek
- Siobhan Ring of the ICBF will discuss the tools available like the Dairy Beef Index and how they can be effectively used by dairy and beef farmers.
- Nicky Byrne will discuss different calf-to-beef systems and how to select the most appropriate for your farm.
- Aidan Maguire, a participant in the Teagasc Green Acres calf to beef programme, will discuss his farm system and why he has chosen the system.
- Sean Cummins, Teagasc, will discuss lifetime liveweight target for calf-to-beef systems and will provide an update on the animal performance from the Green Acres programme.
A feature video will focus on the Long brothers, Richard, Michael and Liam, who operate independent dairy and beef enterprises, but who have taken an integrated approach by selecting beef sires that satisfy the needs of both farm systems and which provides a guaranteed route to market for calves. We then feature Martin Connolly, a Roscommon dairy beef farmer who has improved his farm system by focusing on calf health, grazing management and making high quality silage. Martin outlines his herd health plan and the role vaccination has played in improving herd health and overall performance.
- Teagasc Green Acres Dairy Calf to Beef Programme
- Teagasc Grange dairy calf-to-beef system study
- Growing your potential; Grass-to-Beef
- Dairy-beef performance under three stocking rate intensities
- Management and prevention of common infectious & parasitic diseases affecting dairy beef calves
- Understanding the Dairy Beef Index (DBI)
Stay tuned to our social media channels throughout the day or search #VirtualBeefWeek. We’ll be dedicating this week to Teagasc Beef and will be posting videos and updates throughout each day
On Tuesday, watch our social media channels and Teagasc Daily for videos and information on;
- National statistics from the dairy beef herd
- Selecting beef sires for use on the dairy herd
- Herd health planning
- Grassland management
- Optimum stocking rate
- Purchasing dairy beef calves
- Lessons learned from the Green Acres programme