Teagasc in conjunction with Boortmalt have devised a joint malting barley development programme with the overall aim of making malting barley the most profitable cereal crop on Irish farms. Other specific aims are to:
- Increase the use of effective soil nutrient management planning
- Deliver more brewing and distilling barley within specification
- Establish a targeted knowledge transfer programme dedicated to malting barley growers.
Meeting the Objectives
- A dedicated malting barley advisor (Eoin Lyons) for the duration of 3 years
- Monitor farms in various locations to carry out on farm malting barley demos
- Working intensively with both Teagasc and Boortmalt discussion groups
What can Growers expect!
- Increased information flow through newsletters and technical bulletins
- Specific malting barley events tailored to each region
- Practical workshops of current issues and topics
- Increased support for discussion groups
- Contact point for technical malting barley assistance