The Afforestation Grant and Premium Scheme 2014-2020 supports the planting of new forests and offers a range of planting options designed to accommodate a wide range of objectives.
The afforestation grant and premium categories (GPCs) are determined by the category of land planted, the area and tree species planted:
Afforestation grant and premium categories
Detailed information on the various planting options dependent on objectives:
- Afforestation: commercial conifer or broadleaf timber production (GPC 1-8)
- Native Woodland Establishment: maximising biodiversity value (GPC 9-10)
- Agroforestry: combining trees with grazing or silage (GPC 11)
- Forestry for Fibre: planting of trees for energy (GPC 12)
Important information - worth reading!
- Getting started in forestry in five steps
- Brief Overview of Forestry Grant Rates
- How do I get the work done?, providing details on T&Cs, eligibility, applications, etc.
- Interaction of forestry with other farm schemes such as BPS, etc.
- Afforestation - legal requirements
- Change of Ownership
Please visit the relevant sections above to view scheme-specific publications.
- Overview of revised afforestation grants 2018-2020 (PDF)
- Farm Forestry Series No. 18: A Guide to Grant and Premium Categories (PDF)
- Farm Forestry Series No. 7: Establishing a Farm Forest. (PDF)
- List of Registered Foresters (PDF)
- List of Native Woodland Scheme Ecologists (PDF) for participation under the Native Woodland Scheme
- Directory of Professional Ecologists (PDF) where a specialist ecological input is required into a forestry application
- Full details of the Afforestation Grant and Premium Scheme 2014-2020 (PDF)
- Forestry Scheme Penalty Schedules (PDF)
- Comparing farm forestry with other farm enterprises (PDF)
Regulations may change over time. Before making an application, please check that you have the most recent information.
Noel Kennedy, Forestry Adviser with Teagasc discusses afforestation. Filmed at TIMBER 2017, Stradbally Hall Estate, Co Laois.
To encourage the planting of more forests, a range of planting schemes with attractive afforestation grants and annual payments are available to landowners. This video explains briefly what is involved and where to go for independent and objective advice.