Where Forest Owners meet Timber Buyers
Teagasc's Forestry Development Department ran two Timber Marketing Days where forest owners had the opportunity to meet with timber buyers, harvesting contractors and foresters. These two events took place on:
- Tuesday 10 September 2013 at the Devon Inn Hotel, Templeglantine, Co Limerick
- Thursday 12 September 2013 at the Lough Allen Hotel & Spa, Drumshanbo, Co Leitrim
Most forest owners realise the benefits of timely thinning. However many have queries about how to get the job done. Feedback from forest owners has also highlighted the need for a suitable forum to engage with key players involved in the harvest and purchase of timber.
That’s why Teagasc organised these Timber Marketing Days where speakers addressed the following questions:
- How do I get into contact with potential buyers?
- Is my forest ready for thinning? How will the thinning operation be carried out?
- Is there the potential to co-ordinate thinning with other forest owners?
- What is the best way to sell my timber?
- What price range can I expect?
The day started with an outdoor demonstration organised by the Irish Forestry and Forest Products Association where participants had the opportunity to view the quality of timber required by Irish sawmills and the best way to ensure such quality.
This was followed by short, concise presentations from Teagasc, a local Harvesting Contractor, a local Forest Management Company, the Association of Irish Forestry Consultants and the Irish Timber Growers Association. Local Forest Owner Groups also gave their perspective and shared their experiences.
- Getting Timber to Market (PDF) - Tom Houlihan Teagasc
- Getting Timber to Market (PDF) - Steven Meyen Teagasc
- A Forest Owner Experience (PDF) - Bernard Brennan, Sligo/Leitrim Forest Owners
- A Forest Owner Experience (PDF) - Michael Ryan, Limerick/Tipperary Woodland Owners
- Harvesting Contracts, Owner Checklists and Tax Issues (PDF) - Donal Whelan, Irish Timber Growers Association (ITGA)
- The Role of the Forestry Consultant (PDF) - Tomás Hanrahan, Forestlink on behalf of Association of Irish Forestry Consultants (AIFC)
- The Role of the Forestry Company (PDF) - Harry Rynn, Woodland Managers Ltd on behalf of the Forestry Companies
- The Thinning Operation (PDF) - Michael Fahey, Timber Contracting and Tree Care Services
- Timber Haulage and Security Issues for the Forest Owner (PDF, 2.6 MB) - Gerry McMorrow, McMorrow Haulage