Reforestation Demo, Feakle, Co Clare
Teagasc, in conjunction with Coillte and the Forest Service, DAFM, is organising two important demonstrations on reforestation. These two events will take place on:
- Thursday 26 February 2015: Rising Sun Guesthouse, Mullinavat, Co Kilkenny
- Wednesday 4 March 2015: Community Centre, Feakle, Co Clare
Re-establishing a forest after clearfell presents very different challenges to afforestation. These two reforestation demos will provide guidance to forest owners whose plantations are now coming up for re-establishment. Most forest owners know that a forest must be replanted after the final timber crop has been harvested.
Therefore, Teagasc in association with the Forest Service, DAFM and Coillte are holding two national events focusing on the many aspects in relation to reforestation. These events are very timely as many forest owners had to clearfell following the 2014 storms.
The demonstrations will visit Coillte forests where reforestation is now taking place. The following topics will be discussed:
- Forest Regulations: replanting obligation, regulations and environmental issues, felling licence, inspections
- Ground Preparation: site safety, site layout and planning / timing, wind-rowing / mounding, brash biomass
- Plants: plant quality, species, provenance, stocking levels, planting methods
- Crop Management: weevil control, vegetation control, stocking levels
- On-going Maintenance: vegetation control, crop development, Eucalyptus field trials
The re-establishment of a forest is very different to afforestation. After a clearfell, there is an abundance of branch material on the ground. Ground preparation involves removing this material from the site or tidying it up into piles called windrows. After this, prompt replanting with suitably sized and sturdy young trees can reduce reforestation costs and insure the quick and successful establishment of the next forest. Vegetation such as briars, gorse and willow can encroach rapidly and timely control of vegetation is critical to successful re-forestation.
Another issue that will be discussed at these events, is the control of the large pine weevil (Hylobius abietis). Chemical control over the first two years of the reforestation process is necessary to limit damage. Such treatments should be done in accordance with the Sustainable Use Directive (SUD).
Teagasc, the Forest Service, Coillte and a number of forestry companies will have stands at the meeting venue where additional information and advice on a range of forestry topics will be available.
- Thursday 26 February 2015: Meet at the Rising Sun Guesthouse, Mullinavat, Co Kilkenny. Venue will be signposted from Exit 11 (New Ross/Mullinavat) off the M9, Dublin-Waterford motorway. Queries to Michael Somers Teagasc on 087 1216163.
- Wednesday 4 March 2015: Meet at the Community Centre, Feakle, Co Clare. Signposts will be in place from Ennis N18.Queries to Michael Somers Teagasc on 087 1216163.
Arrive any time between 11 am and 12.30 pm. Guided tours will leave every twenty minutes, and the demonstration will take approximately 2.5 hours. These are outdoor events so please bring appropriate footwear and raingear. All are welcome. Events are free.
- Contact Michael Somers, Teagasc