Talking Hardwoods event in Abbeyleix, Co Laois
Talking Hardwoods 2016
Where Forest Owners meet Hardwood Users
The Teagasc Forestry Development Department is holding a Hardwood Marketing Event on:
- Tuesday 15 November, The Manor Hotel, Abbeyleix, Co Laois
Many new broadleaf woodlands have been planted in Ireland since the early 1990s. Many of these crops are now approaching harvesting. Quality is key in the production of valuable hardwood timber.
When growing broadleaf trees, appropriate management results in the production of quality timber. Appropriate management includes formative shaping, high pruning, marking of the potential crop trees and thinning at the correct stage.
Early broadleaf thinning is facilitated by the Woodland Improvement Grant together with the demand for firewood. As crops develop through further thinning, it is envisaged that some of the logs from the removed trees will be suitable for higher value end uses.
It is therefore timely for Teagasc to organise an event bringing together broadleaf growers and users of hardwood timber stimulating the development of this fledgling hardwood market in Ireland.
This event commences with a demonstration of various hardwood uses from a range of industry users. Participants have the opportunity to view quality Irish hardwood products. This is followed by short presentations from Teagasc and industry players on the management, uses and requirements of hardwoods.
There is ample networking opportunities with organisations, users, contractors and timber buyers who have a stand at this venue. This event is a great opportunity for both growers and the industry stimulating the development of an Irish hardwood market.
9.30, Registration and welcome, Dr Nuala Ní Fhlatharta, Teagasc (chairperson)
Hardwood Timber Products, short, practical presentations
- Firewood: John Sherlock, Sherlogs, IRBEA Representative
- Ash for Hurleys: Albert Randall, Irish Guild of Ash Hurley Makers
- Crafts, Green Timber, Charcoal: Eoin Donnelly, Múintir na Coille
- Wood Turning: Emmet Kane, Irish Wood Turning Guild
- Towards Quality Hardwoods: Dr. Ian Short & Jerry Campion, Teagasc
- Furniture Quality: Daniel Gill, Furniture Maker, Athenry
- Q & A
11.00, Coffee and Networking
11.45, Opening Address, Mr Andrew Doyle T.D., Minister of State at the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine, with responsibility for Forestry
- Optimising the broadleaf resource (PDF), Liam Kelly, Teagasc
- Irish oak - a case study in high value production, Paddy Purser, Purser Tarleton Russell Ltd
- Processing Irish hardwoods (PDF), Seamus Heaney
- Adding value – Exploring potential utilisation of Irish hardwood timber (PDF), Dermot O'Donovan & Sean Garvey, GMIT, Letterfrack
13.00, Questions and Answers
13.30, Close conference, Professor Gerry Boyle, Director, Teagasc
- Contact Liam Kelly