Talking Timber 2017
Where forest owners meet timber buyers
Teagasc's Forestry Development Department will run two timber marketing days where forest owners will have the opportunity to meet with timber buyers, harvesting contractors and foresters. This year's events will take place on
- Thursday 31 August at Ballyhaise College, Co Cavan.
- Tuesday 5 September at the Horse & Jockey Hotel, Thurles, Co Tipperary.
Talking Timber are timber marketing events organised by Teagasc with the co-operation of the Irish timber industry and the Forest Service, DAFM.
Buying and selling timber
These events provide an excellent opportunity for forest owners to find out more about various harvesting options and the timber sales process. This will give forest owners a better appreciation how the thinning sales process works and how timber value can be maximised.
Feedback from forest owners has also highlighted the need for a suitable forum to engage with key players involved in the harvest and purchase of timber. The Talking Timber events facilitate forest owners who have timber for sale to make contact with timber buyers in their area.
Registration is at 9.30 am.
Each event will include an outdoor demonstration organised by the Irish Forestry and Forest Products Association where participants will have the opportunity to view and discuss the quality of timber required by Irish sawmills.
The outdoor demonstration will be followed by short, snappy indoor presentations from Teagasc and speakers from the forest industry. Forest industry presentations:
- Optimising Forest Management - getting the most from your forest:
- Impact of Brexit on Private Forest Owners:
- North East Forestry Group - forest certification, the journey so far:
Each event will provide ample networking opportunities for both timber sellers and buyers.
This is a valuable opportunity for forest owners to meet with those buying timber in your area.
Avoid the queues and pre-register for your Talking Timber event here:
- Online pre-registration is now closed. Registration at the event will be available between 9.30 and 10.00 am.
- Contact your local forestry advisor to find out more.