Talking Timber 2019
Conifer timber marketing events in Cork and Laois
Making the most cents out of harvesting
Tuesday 11 June @ 9.30am: Charleville Park Hotel, Charleville, Co Cork. For further details, contact: John Casey
Thursday 13 June @ 9.30am: Abbeyleix Manor Hotel, Abbeyleix, Co Laois. For further details, contact: Liam Kelly
This year’s focus
Timber harvesting is a process with many moving parts. Forest owners need to ask the right questions prior to both thinning and clearfelling, in order to maximise their forests’ potential. Typical forest owner questions include:
- How do I prepare my crop for harvesting?
- What can I expect from my crop?
- Who is doing what, when, how and for whom?
- What deal suits me best?
Each event will include an outdoor demonstration organised by Forest Industries Ireland (FII). Participants will have the opportunity to view and discuss the quality of timber required by Irish sawmills.
This outdoor timber display will be followed by short conference-style presentations by Teagasc, DAFM, a tax expert and a forest owner.
Afterwards, attendees will have an opportunity to network with timber buyers and forestry companies.
Teagasc's Forestry Development Department runs these annual timber marketing days to give forest owners the opportunity to meet with and ask questions of timber buyers, harvesting contractors and foresters.
Talking Timber events are organised by Teagasc with the co-operation of the Irish timber industry and the Department of Agriculture, Food and the Marine (DAFM).
Event schedule and programme
Registration will be at 9.30am on each day. Both events will commence at 10am and finish for 2.30pm. These events are free and all are welcome to attend.
09.30am Registration and networking
10.00am Outdoor log and timber products display by FII
10.45am Coffee and networking
11.30am Short presentations from Teagasc, DAFM, tax expert and forest owner
- Timber Harvesting and Sales Process (PDF), John Casey & Liam Kelly, Forestry Development Department Teagasc
- Felling Licence Process (PDF), Frank Barrett, Forest Service DAFM
- Taxation of Forestry - fdc (PDF), Willie John O’Flynn & Robert Plaice, FDC Associates (Mallow, Co Cork)
- Taxation of Forestry - ifac (PDF), David Barry, IFAC
- FOCS - a forest owners group perspective (PDF), Dr Kathryn O'Donoghue, Forestry Owners Co-operative Society
- Thinning our forests - an owner's perspective (PDF), Michael McEvoy, Laois Farm Forestry Producers Group
12.30pm Q & A
01.00pm – 2.30pm Attendees have an opportunity to network with timber buyers
- Contact your local forestry adviser to find out more.