Thinning of broadleaf/conifer mixtures
- To establish a minimum of 3 experimental sites that can be used to produce tending and thinning guidelines for current conifer / broadleaf mixtures
- To investigate the products available from thinnings of conifer / broadleaf mixtures
WP 4a – State-of-the-Art
- A comprehensive literature review will be conducted, making use of the internet and available abstracts databases.
- All literature collected will be entered into a database (EndNote) and filed.
- A review of unpublished work undertaken in Ireland will be carried out.
- NATFOREX database will be interrogated to source existing national trials to visit.
WP4b – Timing and Intensity of Thinning
- Source a minimum of 3 suitable sites (Forest Service Inspectors and Teagasc Forestry Development Officers will be instrumental)
- With regard to information gained from WP4a, establish plots (months 6 – 42)
- Possible treatments may include removal of all nurse crop, removal of alternate lines of nurse crop
- Possible treatments may include thinning when nurse is 1m, 3m and 5m taller than crop species
- Endeavour to use recognised experimental designs and plots of sufficient size to facilitate long-term research in conjunction with demonstration
- Measure and monitor plots to end of project
- Survival; Stem diameter; Stem height; Stem form
- Manage the trial sites to end of project
WP4c – Products from Thinnings
- A comprehensive literature review will be conducted, making use of the internet and available abstracts databases. All literature collected will be entered into a database (EndNote) and filed.
- Visits to existing producers using small-dimension roundwood from thinnings, both nationally and internationally, will be conducted and reported upon.
- Links with WP4a and WP5c.
WP4d – Thinning Protocols
This WP depends on the results of WP4b and WP4c. Thinning Protocols will only be produced if there is sufficient data and reliable results to form the protocols.
- Draft Thinning Protocols will be derived by the Programme team and distributed for comment to industry
- Final Thinning Protocols will be produced and disseminated