Thinning of broadleaf/conifer mixtures
- To establish a minimum of 3 experimental sites that can be used to produce tending and thinning guidelines for current conifer / broadleaf mixtures
- To investigate the products available from thinnings of conifer / broadleaf mixtures
WP 4a – State-of-the-Art
- A comprehensive literature review was conducted, making use of the internet and available abstracts databases.
- All literature collected was entered into a database (EndNote) and filed.
- A review of unpublished work undertaken in Ireland was carried out.
- NATFOREX database was interrogated to source existing national trials to visit.
WP4b – Timing and Intensity of Thinning
- Source a minimum of 3 suitable sites
- With regard to information gained from WP4a, establish plots (months 6 – 42)
- Measure and monitor plots to end of project
- Survival; Stem diameter; Stem height; Stem form
- Manage the trial sites to end of project
WP4c – Products from Thinnings
- A comprehensive literature review was conducted, making use of the internet and available abstracts databases. All literature collected was entered into a database (EndNote) and filed.
- Visits to existing producers using small-dimension roundwood from thinnings, both nationally and internationally, was conducted and reported upon.
- Links with WP4a and WP5c.
WP4d – Thinning Protocols
- Draft Thinning Protocols were derived by the Programme team and distributed for comment to industry
- Final Thinning Protocols were produced and disseminated