Our Organisation Search
Quick Links
Toggle: Topics

FAQ: Nutrient Legislation

Green Cover

Q. What cereal crops grown under contract can be treated with a non-selective herbicide with no requirements to re –establish green cover?

A. Any crops for human consumption for example seed / malting crops that cannot be pre-harvested with a non-selective herbicide.

Q. Is it 25% of the contracted area of the listed crop options?

A. Yes

Q. When can one start a non-selective herbicide be applied from in relation to malting / seed crops?

A. In 2014 once the crop has been harvested a non-selective herbicide can be applied without the requirement to re-establish a green cover.( The starting date in 2015 will be 15th October as per amended legislation)

Q. Where I am growing a contracted tonnage of 200 tonnes malting barley, what area can be treated with a non –selective herbicide?

A. Use the reference cereal yields (as per nitrates directive) for example spring barley reference yield is 6.5t/ha (as in table 16 as per S1 31 2014). Therefore, for 200t contract the area is 30.77ha and 7.69 ha (25%) can be treated for grass weed control.

Q. In the case of roasting barley which tends to be bought on spec when the market requires it. In this example what is required as proof, a sales docket or contract/end use?

A. A roasting contract is required

Q. Can you spray all your headlands of every plot you have if that adds up to 25% of the contracted area irrespective of the plots that were used to grow the contracted crop or is it specific to whole plots and the ones that were associated with the production in that season?

A. Yes 25% of the total contracted area can be treated with a non-selective herbicide as either whole plots or part of plots.

2 meter buffer strip & watercourses

Q. Where a watercourse has a permanent farm roadway located between it and the crop/field can this 3-4 meter road provide the required buffer?

A. The buffer strip is provided by the roadway

Q. Can a hedge form part of the 2 metre buffer strip a long side an identified water course?

A. Yes it can, the buffer starts from the top of the bank

Q. Where do you start to count the start of the buffer strip in relation to a water course?

A. The buffer starts from the top of the bank of the river / stream.

Soiled Water / Slurry Storage

Q.What soiled water storage capacity is required by livestock marts?

A. Marts need ten days storage at a minimum and may need more depending on the part of the country they’re in, local soil conditions etc. Any tank put in place from 1st Jan next needs a minimum of fifteen days storage

Q. Where livestock are fed outside on a concrete yards, how is the water from these areas classed as or do they require slurry storage?

A. Concrete yards where livestock are fed is classed as slurry (free access from shed with for example round feeder in adjoining yard).

Q. Are clean concrete yards that are soiled by machinery/animals cross infrequently thus creating grey/soiled water areas? (Hard standing areas are collecting and return yards from dairy premises? / Holding areas for livestock seem to be similar but also include areas like cattle crushes etc.)

A. Collecting and return yards for dairy parlours are classed as normally producing soiled water. Infrequently used areas that are normally clean but become lightly contaminated normally meet the parameters of soiled water