Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Horsemanship
Awarding Body: QQI
Course Code: 6M3505
Application: Apply Online
Maintenance Grant: Teagasc Grant Scheme (Means Tested)
Applicants must have passed the Level 5 riding module to join this programme. Applicants with equivalent qualification must undergo the Teagasc RPL (Recognition of Prior Learning) process to determine exemption for transfer to the Level 6 Advanced Certificate.
Kildalton College, Piltown, Co Kilkenny.
This one-year course aims to provide students with:
- Knowledge and skills relating to breaking and training young horses
- Qualification for employment opportunities in the industry including training yards and equestrian centres
- Progression and articulation options to higher level courses
This is a follow on from the Level 5 Certificate in Horsemanship course. It is a one-year programme designed to equip people to find employment in responsible positions in the sport horse industry or to start their own business.
Students spend 28 weeks at Kildalton College developing their:
- Riding and horse management skills
- Breaking three and four year olds
- Training young horses for sales and competitions
- Learning to teach/coach
Students are encouraged to use this course as training towards the HSI Coaching and British Horse Society Instructors qualifications.
On successful completion of the programme students are awarded the QQI Level 6 Advanced Certificate in Horsemanship which meets the training requirements for start up assistance and schemes as a young trained farmer.