Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert
|Duration||15 - 18 months|
|Location||Ballyhaise, Botanics, Clonakilty, Gurteen, Kildalton, Mountbellew, Pallaskenry|
Also available at Teagasc Regional Education Centres
Teagasc is endeavouring to meet the demand for the Teagasc Distance Green Cert for Non Agricultural Award Holders.
In order to facilitate planning of courses, people who wish to register an interest in completing a future distance education course should register their interest in a course by contacting their local Teagasc office or Agricultural College.
Courses can only run subject to available resources.
To be eligible for the course, an applicant must:
- Be a holder of a Level 6 or Higher Major Award in a non-agricultural discipline. A Teagasc certified copy of the qualification held will be required and can be obtained by bringing the original parchment for certification to any Teagasc office. If the award is not on the National Framework of Qualifications, or if there can be any doubt as to the equivalence of the award on the National Framework of Qualifications, the onus is on the applicant to provide proof that the award meets this entry requirement. Information on the National Framework of Qualifications is available from Quality and Qualifications Ireland’s (QQI), Qualification Recognition Service.
- Have continuous access to a commercial farm in the Republic of Ireland (home farm or approved nominated farm) for the duration of the course in order to develop proficiency in farm tasks and complete farm base assignment and projects.
- Have access to all farm details including financial details on the nominated farm and are expected to spend at least two days per week on this farm and be involved in the farm operation and management.
The applicant will also be required to include a certified copy of their birth certificate and proof of their Personal Public Service Number (PPSN).
Prospective applicants are advised to obtain any necessary proof in advance of the opening for applications.
Please Note: Applications forms for this course are not available at present. Forms that are available for download are for other courses and cannot be used to apply to the Distance Education Programme.
This course has been developed to meet the training requirements for full-time or part-time farmers that hold a non-agricultural Level 6 or higher Major award qualification. The Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert for Non Agricultural Award Holders meets the training requirement for Stamp Duty Exemption. The course covers subjects such as the environment, farm safety and animal welfare as well as modules dealing with production agriculture, farm business management and succession.
Course Duration and Location
This part-time course extends over a minimum of 15-18 months and is offered at Teagasc Regional Education Centres and Agricultural Colleges as a distance learning option.
Teagasc Distance Education Green Cert for Non Agricultural Award Holders course:
- Comprises of two separate awards, the Level 5 Certificate in Agriculture (120 credits) and the Level 6 Specific Purpose Certificate in Farm Administration (40 credits)
- Has a minimum entry requirement of a Level 6 major Non-Agricultural Award
- Requires in the region of 150 hours direct contact (including classroom sessions, practical skills instruction; farm planning sessions, tutorials; exam time; practical skills assessment time). Attendance will be on week days during normal business hours. Depending on local arrangements, centres will endeavour to provide applicants with a schedule of some or all attendance days before the start of the course.
- Requires a 12 month practical learning period. This will be completed on the home farm/nominated farm in the Republic of Ireland.
If you would like more information contact the Regional Education Officer for your area.