- WP1: Literature review on the impact of cattle access on freshwater ecosystems
This WP will evaluate available literature on the impact of cattle access on aquatic ecosystems.
- WP2: Selection and characterisation of experimental sites
This work package will identify and characterise catchments with cattle access sites appropriate for inclusion in the project.
- WP3: Collection and analysis of geochemical and microbial parameters in freshwater ecosystems relative to cattle access and exclusion
In this WP the impact of cattle access points, cattle in-stream activity and proposed cattle exclusion measures on freshwater geochemical parameters, faecal indicator bacteria and sediment export and dynamics will be assessed.
- WP4: Collection and analysis of ecological datasets associated with cattle access to watercourses
The objective of this WP is to assess the impact of cattle access points and cattle in-stream activity on freshwater benthic ecology and its recovery over time as well as hyporheic ecology and chemistry.
- WP5: National Estimate of On FarmWater Courses
No map exists in Ireland showing farm boundaries , this work package will create such a map. This will be used in conjunction with the OSI water body maps to calculate a suite of statistics on farm waterbodies.
- WP6: Cost-effectiveness of existing and potential cattle exclusion measures: Socioeconomic implications
The cost-effectiveness of fencing and alternative water provision mechanisms as measures to improve water quality will be evaluated. The WP will also assess the willingness of farmers to adopt such measures and determine the level of incentives required to ensure adequate participation.