Johnstown Castle has a range of impressive facilities. 250 hectares of the estate are devoted to measuring the environmental impact of dairy and beef production systems.
Resources include fully equipped research and service laboratories which deal with all major and trace elements, an experimental series of lysimeters which have 45 individual soil columns representing the major Irish soil types, a mini-catchment where water movement and balances are measured, growth chambers, glasshouses and land resources for the design and conduct of small plot to large scale field experiments.
Johnstown Castle Environmental Research Centre
Phone: +353 53 9171200
The Laboratory Provides:
- Water analysis for Research Programme at Johnstown Castle and other centres
- Soil, crop and manure analysis for Teagasc researchers
- Analysis of gaseous emissions
- Analysis of microbiological materials
- Research based recommendations to optimise animal and crop health and farmer income while complying with the Nitrates Directive SI378.