- Application of micro-organisms and enzymes to the manufacture of fermented foods.
- Selection, identification and production of novel starter cultures of commercial interest.
- Investigating approaches to control and modulate the key sensory properties of fermented foods.
- Demonstration of the natural health benefits of fermented foods and application of novel approaches to enhance such benefits.
- Microbial-biotransformation: production of active metabolites by industrially important organisms