Food for Health
Research on the key societal diet related health concerns focuses on:
- Extraction and isolation of bioactive components from a range of food grade biological sources (milk, meat and marine origin).
- Extraction of phytochemicals from fruits, vegetables and cereals.
- Application of high throughput bioassays to screen for putative bioactive compounds
- Identification and structural characterisation of bioactives.
- Elucidation of the physiological mechanism(s) of action of bioactive molecules.
- Assessment of bioavailability.
- Understanding the relationship between gut microbiota and health status, and the potential of food to programme a healthy gut microbiota.
- Biocontrol agents (bacteriocins and bacteriophage) for spoilage/pathogen control.