Dairy chemistry research focuses on
- Studying the interactions of proteins, carbohydrates and minerals in concentrated colloidal systems through optimisation of formulation and processing conditions.
- Understanding the impact of ingredient composition, processing and storage conditions on micro- and macro-structural properties, and how this impacts the quality of dairy products.
- The design of ‘SMART’ protein-based ingredients in dehydrated form suitable for export via understanding of protein chemistry and the effects of thermal processing.
- Investigating the control of protein aggregation, mainly by understanding self-aggregation of whey proteins and interaction with casein.
- Profiling milk from grass – Investigating how the diets of cows (grass, grass clover or total mixed ration) alter the nutritional and functional characteristics of a variety of dairy products (cheese, butter, whole milk powder).