Animal Welfare Officer Training Course (Teagasc- RBAI EC 1099/2009)
A one day Animal Welfare Officer training work shop with a high degree of delegate participation and interaction making use of the principles of accelerated learning.
To enable participants comply with EC 1099/2009 by having an understanding of the context of “modern welfare” and formal training in the role, responsibilities and duties of the Animal Welfare Officer (AWO) and to facilitate companies in complying with the Bord Bia welfare requirements of the new Meat Processors Quality Assurance Standard (MPQAS).
Welfare as it applies in Beef, Pork, Sheep, Equine and Poultry abattoirs
- Introduction, History & Drivers of Welfare
- Welfare & Rights
- The 5 Freedoms
- Assessing Welfare
- Applicable Legislation (EC1099/2009)
- Basic animal behaviour and it’s relevance
- Role of Animal Welfare Officer
- Duties and Responsibilities of AWO
- Bord Bia MPQAS welfare requirements
- Meat Quality Issues
- Slaughter without prior stunning
- Expectations of the competent authority & certification bodies (e.g. Bord Bia)
Date and Venue Information
In-company training only.
Contact Kevin Brennan (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more details.