BDGP Extended - what you need to know
The BDGP scheme has been extended for one year – what do you need to know? It is an extension to the previous scheme, therefore you must have been a participant in BDGP1 to apply. Two requirements are necessary to avail of extension by closing date on 15th of January. Martina Harrington has details
You must have met the requirements of the Stock bull/A.I and the Female Replacement Strategy in BDGP1 to be eligible to apply for the extension.
It’s not a rollover so you MUST make a new application for the extension and there are two ways to do this:
- Text DAFM Y (there is a space before the Y) in response to a text sent by the Department of Agriculture. This text must state that it is for the BDGP scheme. You will have 3 days to reply from receipt of the Dept. message. The next text will be on the 8th of January
- Apply through Agfood.ie. yourself under BDGP or ask your advisor.
The closing date for applications is 15th of January 2021 @5pm.
Stock Bull/AI Requirement
For applicants that used a stock bull, at least one stock bull on the holding on 30th June 2019 must have been a genotyped 4 or 5 star bull on either the Terminal or Replacement Index (on a within or across breed basis) at the time of purchase.
If you used AI, at least 80% of the AI used on the participating holding must have been from 4 or 5 star bulls on either the Terminal or Replacement Index (on a within or across breed basis).
Applicants using both stock bulls and AI must have satisfied both requirements.
Female Replacement Strategy
The number of heifers/eligible suckler cows meeting the female replacement requirement on the holding on 31st October 2020 must be equivalent to 50% of the applicant’s reference animals.
For 2021 the scheme will be the same as the previous scheme.
- Your reference number will remain the same
- You must
- Tag and register all your calves as before
- Complete all surveys
- Genotype 60% of the reference number of animals
- Complete your Carbon Navigator in September.
- If using a stock bull, at least one bull on the holding on the 30th June 2021 must be a genotyped 4 or 5 star on either the replacement or terminal index.
- The eligible bull must also be >12 months old on the 30th June 2021
- At least 80% of the AI used on participating holdings must be from 4 or 5 star bulls on either the terminal or replacement index.
- If using both a stock bull and AI you must meet the requirements of both50% of your reference number of heifers/eligible suckler cows must be 4/5 star on 31st October 2021.
- The females must also be:
- Sired by a beef sire
- Be > 16 months of age, i.e. born before the 30th of June 2020
- If purchased after the 5th June 2015, she has to have been born on/after the 1st Jan 2013.
- If born into your herd she can be born before the 1st Jan 2013
For most the hard work of meeting the goals of the scheme have been achieved. If you are staying at suckling, it’s a no brainer to sign up to this extension.